Dehumidifier in boat?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone use standard dehumidifiers in their boats? I don't have A/C, and especially late in the fall when the night cools quickly and condensation builds up my cabin can be damp to the point where the mattress and blankets feel wet when we lay down. I'm considering getting a small 40 pint dehumidifier to plug into the 110AC rather than spending the cash on a full A/C system for humidity control.

Pros? cons? thoughts?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It'll reduce humidity IF you keep it closed up but it will also produce heat.

For the money, get on ebay/craigslist and find a used drop in a/c for the hatch.... Even if it doesn't quite cool the cabin during the day it will reduce humidity and keep it cooler at night.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Fwiw the 30 yr old 10k marine air unit I put in my wellcraft didn't quite keep up when it was sunny and over 90* but under 90* or overcast you could hang meat in it.
I suspect that a hatch a/c would do just fine in the evening and night.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
The heat I didn't consider. That's a good point.

I'm really not a fan of the drop-in hatch units. they're large, unsightly, and storage / space is important. I may just end up pulling the trigger on a properly installed marine unit.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Are you talking at the dock with shore power? Dehumidifiers draw a ton of power, you won't run them off an inverter.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Are you talking at the dock with shore power? Dehumidifiers draw a ton of power, you won't run them off an inverter.

What he said. Inverters and HVAC don't go together. Shore power or generator are your only practical power options.

FWIW, I installed a complete unit in my Carver during May. Soup to nuts- from drilling the hole for the seacock to installing a complete 2nd shore power circuit, to mounting the thermostat. If you're doing it yourself, do a LOT of reading. I read the installation manuals for every brand out there and followed best practices across the board. It was neither easy nor cheap, but I have a good working unit installed and saved a couple grand. Feel free to PM me if you want advice.

RGrew176

Commander
The heat I didn't consider. That's a good point.

I'm really not a fan of the drop-in hatch units. they're large, unsightly, and storage / space is important. I may just end up pulling the trigger on a properly installed marine unit.

In the long run you would be better installing a marine unit. It will do a better job overall and will make your boat more attractive if and when you go to sell it.