boat seat law

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
If I remember correctly, there is a law about boat swivel type seats though. Seems swivel seats have different rulings governing them then fixed front facing seats... If I am not mistaken, you can't drive a boat from a swivel seat unless it has the ability to lock in a fixed forward position while under power... Could be wrong, but I think I read something to that effect...
I really hope that is not the case here in Ontario as the parts I have bought don't lock the seat in any way. Guess I am off to search the laws and see. Really hope not.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I have nothing to hide so it wouldn't matter if they boarded my boat.

If you have nothing to hide, would you let law enforcement search your house randomly, without reason? If you have nothing to hide, would you give them password to your phones &/or computers so they can browse through your email and history?

I have nothing to hide, and will never willingly let any LEO search anything of mine that I don't legally have to.

64osby

Admiral
If you have nothing to hide, would you let law enforcement search your house randomly, without reason? If you have nothing to hide, would you give them password to your phones &/or computers so they can browse through your email and history?

I have nothing to hide, and will never willingly let any LEO search anything of mine that I don't legally have to.

I referenced my boat, per the subject.

There are different laws that apply to your house and electronics. With electronics i would believe that they could access anything they wanted when they wanted and if they wanted even without permission. With my house a warrant is what is required. I still have nothing to hide but do believe in my rights.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While it is possible that he might have been looking for something else, it could easily be that he just had it wrong. I dont know how complicated the laws are in your state, but I imagine it would not be hard to make a mistake.

Having said that, when arriving at the ramp early this season, the rangers we there doing voluntary safety checks. They offered to do the check for free, and make any recommendations they had. Being my first full season and having nothing to hide I figured nothing to lose. It took them about 15 minutes, and when they finished they gave me a written report, and a sticker that went on the side window (Coast Guard Safety sticker). They also told me that it would get me a discount on my boat insurance.

They didnt find any issues... but I figure that if a Ranger were looking to check someone out, that sticker might help avoid a delay on the lake.

NYBo

Admiral
Couldn't have been rangers. Only US Coast Guard Auxiliary and US Power Squadron vessel examiners are authorized to dispense those stickers.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I do have a 2nd question about a regulation that I have been curious about, but couldn't find anything about it.

If a law enforcement official asks to board your vessel, do you have to let them?

In the state of Ohio NO you do not. I believe it is federal law as well, but can't say for positive. They request permission to board your craft but you are not required to let them, however......if they find anything wrong then they automatically have permission to board your craft for further inspection...example drugs!! This came from a watercraft officer.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I referenced my boat, per the subject.

There are different laws that apply to your house and electronics. With electronics i would believe that they could access anything they wanted when they wanted and if they wanted even without permission. With my house a warrant is what is required. I still have nothing to hide but do believe in my rights.

The SCOTUS has ruled that the police now need a search warrant to access your phone.

64osby

Admiral
The SCOTUS has ruled that the police now need a search warrant to access your phone.

With electronics i would believe that they could access anything they wanted when they wanted and if they wanted even without permission.

With or without a warrant I still say that electronics is an easy hack for those that care to do it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Here's a thought...

Maybe we should figure out if the o/p has a legal seat or not...

How about a pic of the suspect seat??????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is about boat seats and what legal authority can board your boat. It has nothing to do with search warrants, privacy, the Supreme Court or any of the other off topic comments.

Stay on track!

64osby

Admiral
Negligent Operation (46 USC 2302 (a) (b)) Federal law prohibits the negligent or grossly negligent operation of a vessel and/or interference with the safe operation of a vessel so as to endanger lives and/or property . The U .S . Coast Guard may impose a civil penalty for negligent operation . Grossly negligent operation is a criminal offense and an operator may be fined up to $5,000, imprisoned for one year, or both . Some actions that may constitute negligent or grossly negligent operation are: ? Operating a boat in a designated swimming area . ? Excessive speed in the vicinity of other boats or in regulated waters . ? Hazardous water skiing or other water sports practices . ? Bowriding, or riding on seatback, gunwale, or transom . ? Operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

This is the only federal regulation I can find related to seats.

Your local laws may vary.

Common side effect may include headaches, neck pain, numbness of the legs and buttox, Additionally Wise arse comments may cause a lightening of the wallet.

tpenfield

Staff member
Is this seat back thing going to end up in the SCOTUS ? :D

I think the reason the LEO did not issue a ticket, or say anything the following day is because he realized the was no regulation concerning boat seats.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I have seen people busted for riding on top of the rear seat, but never because of a seat not having a back.
I think the warden might have been trolling.