uneven turning, confused as to what can cause this, any suggestions?

Mylilstac

Recruit
I have a 1990 Bayliner bowrider, I recently went to the lake and noticed when I bank starboard it's a perfect turn, when I bank port side it's almost as if that side is almost equil to water level.( I hope I'm explaining this correctly.) It feels like I could easily turn over if I make to tight of a turn. Almost as if there is to much weight on that side of the boat in the back. ( though I have just taken it out by myself to test the weight idea and it still does it with only one person on board) I am not taking on water, that has been checked , I'm confused, anyone have any ideas or a similar issue? I will try any and all suggestions.
thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Weigh the boat, could be water logged foam. It is an early 90's bayliner

Mylilstac

Recruit
Not an illusion already questioned that. Foam I will check that, someone at the lake suggested the trim bladder, I will have to look that up I don't know much about it, engine and wiring I'm more than comfortable tearing apart, but I don't know how the trim bladder works.
if it is water logged foam would it sit off balance in the water? In calm water it is equil all sides one side doesn't go down farther than the other .

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Forget any bladder.... Adding hundreds of lbs of weight would be a bad idea.

As for being waterlogged or any other weight issue the boat would lean far worse sitting still

I still doubt that actually have a serious problem....
Is the skeg bent maybe, do you have a whale tail on the drive?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is your steering equal to both port and starboard - When the wheel is centered from lock to lock, is the drive also centered, pointing straight?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are there trim tabs on the boat? Equal steering range as mentioned above? Is there a tab above the prop? Is it adjusted correctly? What kind of motor is on the boat? Power Steering or not? The more info the better at this point for us to help. Your boat does not have a trim bladder unless it was added by a PO.

Mylilstac

Recruit
Lets see if I can get all this on here I do have a whale tail I went out to inspect it there is a chip in it no bigger than the size of a dime. I checked my prop it looks like there is damage that was done to it in a very small Spot I am going to check the steering as soon as I have some assistance to see if its equal from port and starboard I do have trim tabs on the boat I will look for the tab above the prop. My motor is a Mercruiser 4.3 liter alpha 1 gen 1. and yes we do have power steering, we do have trim bladders.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Ok step one remove the whale tail and toss it...
They don't work right on I/O's and can cause very scary tipping in turns IE most likely the cause of your problem... Plus if you have trim tabs you should have no need at all for the tail.

Damage to the prop may be adding to it but take a test ran after only removing the whale tail.... My bet is that the problem will be gone...

Next evaluate the performance and hole shot with the current prop and start a thread in the prop section... If you decide to replace the damaged prop you can optimize to your liking... IE if you feel that the boat is slower to get on plane you may want to consider a lower pitch 4 blade prop to get it back.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's the first thing I would do as well. Had a Bayliner with a Doel Fin on it and it made the boat dangerous in turns. It didn't do what yours does but it allowed the stern to whip out.

Torque from the prop will naturally want to bank the boat more to the left as well.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yup. You already have trim tabs. They're all you need. I don't have first-hand experience with a whale tail but have read enough here to know that they an be problematic, depending on the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lets see if I can get all this on here I do have a whale tail I went out to inspect it there is a chip in it no bigger than the size of a dime. I checked my prop it looks like there is damage that was done to it in a very small Spot I am going to check the steering as soon as I have some assistance to see if its equal from port and starboard I do have trim tabs on the boat I will look for the tab above the prop. My motor is a Mercruiser 4.3 liter alpha 1 gen 1. and yes we do have power steering, we do have trim bladders.

you have a whale tail, trim bladders and trim tabs? Toss the whale tail and trim bladders. all you need are trim tabs you have 3 systems fighting each other.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Agree on whale tail had one on a 21 searay cuddy . What is a trim bladder thats new to me.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
no they get pumped full on the boat... common for wake boats to make them heavier and thus they throw a bigger wake.... never heard of em on a small bow rider.... I'd get rid of them too

Mylilstac

Recruit
Update! Awesome advice your all so wonderful for all your help! Just got back from the lake, went there hoping all suggestions I have been given at least one would work, and I'm happy to say once we removed the whale tail the turning issue went away, I replaced my prop and removed the trim bladders, it goes across the water like a hot knife in butter and turns amazingly. Had problems with my float and had to adjust my carb, (over adjusted, then readjusted lol) thank you for all your help again, I do appreciate you knowledge and help! Happy boating!