Quick thoughts on old Starcraft?

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have someone local really trying to unload a '71 Starcraft with a Johnson 115 in a hurry. Other than the fact that craigslist is the wild wild west and a buyer might not want to go by himself when dealing with a desperate seller (the asking price has gone from 1800 down to 1400 down to 800 and now down to 600 in the span of a week), anyone have any experience with this model of Starcraft? I can't make out a lot with the 2 pictures, but I know Starcraft boats are well thought of:

https://greenville.craigslist.org/bpo/5197213369.html

Thanks for any thoughts. I'll probably leave it alone, unless this is just too good to pass up.

NYBo

Admiral
Like you said, hard to tell much from the two pix, but it's a tinny and the trailer looks reasonably good. Probably worth the asking price even if the motor is bad. I would try to get te seller to tow it to a public place for you to look it over. The local police station comes to mind. But you wouldn't be able to run the motor on muffs.

64osby

Admiral
Hard to tell the length but looks like a 16' Super Sport, maybe an 18'.

Motor is about the same vintage as the hull. The lower unit has been replaced.

The original seats have been replace with cheap plastic seats. The rest of the interior is probably in poor shape.

The transom looks to be very clean, as does the hull, but pictures can be deceiving.

The trailer looks clean an of the proper size for the boat.

If this is a style of hull (open bow) that you want and you are ready to rebuild it, It looks like a great project boat.

$500 would be reasonable. If he can prove the motor runs it would be worth $600 IMO.

Go take a hard look, bring cash and be prepared to walk, run, drive away.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Looks like a fair price judging from what I see in my area. As for the asking price drop it could be that they are sadly learning what their item is actually really worth instead of what they think it should be worth. There have been a few locally on craigslist that have been for sale all season because the asking price is way out of line. I've learned this myself from trying to sell an outboard engine that was a very fine runner. I thought $400.00 was a more than fair price and never got many responses. Finally sold it for $250.00 which to me was giving it away.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Take a couple friends along and only daytime....only carry enough cash to make the deal, leave all credit cards at home. If you or a friend have a CC license then even better. Looks like it may be a good buy even if some work is needed. Loks like an 18'......had the same boat many years back and liked it very well.