Need advice for a motor for a canoe

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone. I searched some of the forums and didn't find my exact question answered.

I have a very old Sears canoe. Very heavy. We can jump off of it and get back in without it flipping over. It's thick fiberglass with a lot of aluminum. It's a pain to paddle and I want to get a motor for it. I had an electric motor on it a long time ago but now want a gas motor. The back is not flat, it's just like the front, tapered.

1). What size motor should I get? 3hp is what I am thinking.
2). I see everyone mounts the motors on the side and some folks talk about weight distribution. I think I can make a bracket for it hanging it straight off of the back, centered. But no one seems to do that. Is there a reason?

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would first recommend the trolling motor.

However 3 HP would be more than sufficient. Went on a few fishing trips with an old herters canoe and a 3 HP air cooled outboard 30 some years ago. We just clamped to the side of the canoe

pckeen

Commander
In terms of putting a bracket off the back - sure it could be done, but the construction will be more extensive than a simple side mount.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And a 3hp (or smaller) outboard typically used on a canoe isn't very heavy. So while theres someone in the canoe, the cantilever'd weight doesn't amount to much.

Much more elaborate mount, IMO, to get it mounted and have functional access to the tiller arm, controls and rope pull if the motor is hanging of the boat

robert graham

Admiral
I've been running a Tanaka 3HP on my canoe for over 30 years now and it works fine....my riveted Sears aluminum canoe is 17 ft. Long with a flat transom on the back but I've seen folks just attach a 2x4 stud across the back for a motor on canoes without transoms....motor runs along the side in the back that way.....you can find good used Tanaka 3HP motors for sale on E-bay, etc., since they quit importing them 10+ years ago. Another very nice motor that I've considered for my canoe is the Honda 2HP, but my old Tanaka seems to keep running fine, year after year, so no Honda yet for me.....Years back I thought I needed more power and bought a Yamaha 4HP , but it weighed about 47 lbs. back there and was sorta tough to load and unload, and the power really wasn't that much better, so I sold the Yamaha and went back to my 25lb. Tanaka.....Also, the Tanaka and Honda are air cooled, centrifugal clutches....very nice in shallow water....