What hp kicker motor do i need ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
These "what size kicker do I need?" threads frequently get answers that are guesses at best, with no experience to back it up. I have fished with kickers for around 50 years, on boats from 6' to 26' (the bigger ones didn't have kickers), plus virtually every boat in this part of the country uses a kicker.

If you plan to troll never get a single cylinder motor, they're OK for a back up, but they tend to be loud and vibrate, which gets annoying fast.

Long shafts work better than short shafts, XL's work better than L's but are harder to find and may touch the water when tilted up on some boats.

High thrust work great, and is almost requried on bigger boats (20+) they will move a 26' boat well enough for most trolling.

Most people here use 9.9 high thrust Yamahas, they out number all other kickers by about 10:1, the older T8s were great too, but they stopped making them a few years ago.

A 9.9 Yamaha will move a 26' boat quite well, no issues for most trolling, a few guys use bigger kickers on these boats, but most use 9.9s. The guys with bigger kickers may go 50 miles out for tuna, but even a lot of them still use 9.9s The guys using bigger Kickers don't use them when trolling for tuna, but do in other locations for salmon. Bigger is probably 20HP max.

The same 9.9 is used on just about everything else from 15' on up. The smaller boats work well with a normal 9.9, but the high thrust version still works better.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Actually, they do. They can enforce it and terminate a voyage immediately on the basis of being overpowered. Not likely to happen, though. You also can't pass a vessel safety check, if that's important to you.

The CG has nothing to do with enforcement of this, it's all local. I have looked it up many times so people can read it for themselves.

The CG can stop you from going out if you don't appear to be operating your vessle safely, but being overpowered doesn't automatically put you in this catagory, there needs to be more to it.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Direct copy and paste from the CG website

MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER ? The maximum horsepower information listed on the capacity label is a guide for selecting an engine for a boat. It?s not a violation of Federal Regulation to install or use a larger engine. Boaters should check state regulations for restrictions. They should also take a look at their insurance policy regarding horsepower.

NYBo

Admiral
The CG has nothing to do with enforcement of this, it's all local. I have looked it up many times so people can read it for themselves.

The CG can stop you from going out if you don't appear to be operating your vessle safely, but being overpowered doesn't automatically put you in this catagory, there needs to be more to it.

You are correct. To clarify, overpowering can be part or all of the determination of a manifestly unsafe voyage. Would having 5 HP over because of a kicker trigger termination of a voyage? I highly doubt it, but it could legitimately be one factor. Operator attitude might increase the weight of that factor!