Overheating on 1 engine.

soh_2

Cadet
I have just finished having both engines (Mercruiser 5.0 MPI) replaced with new (OEM) manifolds, risers and elbows
Also had the thermostat on starboard engine replaced. My concern is that the starboard engine is still running about 5 degrees+- hotter
than the port (163 compared to 158) Any ideas on why this is happening after spending at considerable amount on replacement.

They are the dry joint system on a 2005 Sea Ray boat.

Thanks for your help in advance

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
5 degrees? Not to worry if mine. Just as no 2 people are alike, no 2 motors are alike either. Sensors may read slightly different, or the gauge itself. Go boating and keep an eye on it. I'd bet she's fine. Change the thermostat on port too.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your reading 5 degrees different between engines on a pair of $5 gauges with $5 sending units each with a $7 thermostat. I would call that spot on and perfect.

soh_2

Cadet
Thanks for your replies which I understand. This problem is new since I owned the boat both were always the same at idle or underway.
The problem is that the starboard will get higher when we run at above 3500 rpm much a couple of time up to 185, as soon as I decrease
RPM it will settle down to about 5 degrees above port.