Need advice

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
New to this conversation but will add my input for whatever that is worth.

In all honesty that Smoker would scare me. There are a lot of unknowns as to what was done to it and I think they are asking way to much for it. The Fisher in my opinion is the better/safer deal of the 2. At least it still looks to be original trim other than that plywood on the transom. I would look at the Fisher as a $700.00 investment w/o even looking at that Chrysler engine on the back. If the engine will start and shift then that is a bonus. With either of those boats there is no telling what condition the transom is in so that is a wash.

The Fisher is a decently built hull and is in the same size classification as my Alumacraft 16' Classic. Weights are roughly the same and I have been running a 1983 60hp Johnson 2 cylinder on it and it performs just fine. I'm sure I could pull a light skier or a tube full of kids with it. It's not that big and heavy that it is difficult for one person to launch or retrieve. My Alumacraft is also comfortable enough that the wife and I can take the 2 grandkids fishing and we're not bumping into one another.

Buying a used boat is like buying a used car, ya never know if you're getting a good one until you've owned it awhile.

jbcurt00

Staff member
too far away but heres what would work for you

http://evansville.craigslist.org/boa/5174042393.html

Perhaps, as long as the ski locker is the only pressure treated (PT) that was used and it hasnt already leached onto and damaged the tin hull.

Not sure its been mentioned yet Chad, but PT is a huge red flag. It can devour a tin boat.

Look thru some of the Starcraft rebuilds, lots of them have pages and pages documenting the damage from PT lumber and how to fix it.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Redneck, yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for in my mind. That would be a long haul from central pa! I did somewhat find an 18 ft super sport. If it works out I can go look at it I will then post some questions. Probably a little more boat than I need but if the price is right then it would be a no brainier.

Jb yeah I've been reading about all sorts of things and one of the most stressed is no PT in aluminum boats. I already knew that due to my job but never realized how quick the corrosion happens. Thanks

On a side note: I know that a boats draft in the water is dependent on many things but does anyone have a rough estimate on how deep of water a 16 or 18 SS would need to operate with say 500 to 600 lbs of weight(people,gear). Be easy on me I'm just trying to decide if I need to look at different hull types for the area the boat would be used 65% of the time. The lake is deep but I starting to think about the launch area depth. Going to go measure look at it today(lake is low due to little rain recently here).Thanks

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No more than 2 feet prob half that depending on motor. My little 16 tin boat with a 75 is abou 18 inches.