Need advice

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone give me some info based of the limited info and picture? Is this an aluminum hull? I'm going to try and call the seller this afternoon but am trying to do a little research before hand.

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=3575858

I still like the look of the Starcraft but my wife would really like a side console with the interior payed out a little different. Guess if I redo the floors anyway that might not be to big of a deal to do at that time. Thanks

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Looks aluminum but needs work and a force engine it would have to be dam near free for me . Stay with the starcraft and spend energy changing that layout.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ Pretty much agree with what Joe says.

The Smoker looks like a much more involved project, hard to tell but a gut feeling. Doesn't appear to have an open bow, but I could be mistaken.

It does seem to be rigged for fishing which is something you want. You are also looking at going electric so the Force could be sold off and reduce the initial cost.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Boats nearly buried in the woods and piled w/ carp, aren't typically well maintained boats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
What motor size brand would be a good match for the Starcraft? Where do I look for them? Just trying to do a little research before committing

18' Starcraft. Great price.
Thats a great boat, I have one, just sold a second one.

Boat is only rated for 115 or 125 hp, depending on the year. but will run ok with a 75.
Going up to a 90 hp will make it a very solid rig.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Things might just be falling into place. I just got a call from a friend about a75hp Johnson with controls for $100. I know it's probably underpower for the Starcraft but as long as the engine Checks ok I might pick it up and either use it until I find a bigger one or sell/trade for bigger. Going to look at the hull Friday. Anything other than the obvious I should look for? I'm hoping to get it with an underpowered 43lb thrust trolling motor for $500. If and when I finally get one I'll post pics and start asking a boat load of questions. Thanks

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
.The Smokercraft is worth a $1000, dropping another 1000-1500 would not be a big issue...you would have a solid boat. If it were a fiberglass boat $ 300 tops.
The Starcraft is worth the $800., putting a year 2000 + Merc/Mariner 90, or Yamaha or Honda 90 on it you would have a nice boat. When you consider the price of a new boat like that model do not be afraid of spending money upgrading a good older aluminum boat. My suggestion in staying away from OLDER motors is valid, you buy a boat to spend time on the water, not working on and dumping good money on some OLD POS...My thoughts only

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yep I'd go with the full 800 in pocket and hope for the best.

With a 75 you will probably scoot about 30 tops 25 nice cruise

Last edited:

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I'm hoping that a lack of title for the trailer with the Starcraft can be a good negotiating tool. I'm not sure what the triller motor is or like but depending on age and condition that might also be a negotiating tool. Although I'm not looking to set speed records with the troller I think a 43lb thrust is on the small side for that hull with daughter, wife and I in it. This boat would get used a decent amount on an electric only lake 2 miles from our house. We will see how this all unfolds on Friday. Winters coming and the seller might want rid of it before then(I hope).

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just my luck. The Starcraft is sold. I planed on buying it Friday. Ok so the hunt is still on. I'm back to the smokercraft again. Kind of funny that I've been ending up back at the same boat for a while now. Gona go put my hands on it Friday AM. They are asking $1500 with force engine issues. I'm taking my compression checker with me. Both boat and trailer have titles. In a honest unbiased opinion if I can get it for around $500 or so is it worth it or should I keep looking? Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not enough info for me to say yes at $500

Will you take its not a no dont do it?

Putting your hands and eyes on it are a much better gauge of yes/no at any price.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Going Back to the Smokercraft...Where I live here in Fla, that is a $750-1200 boat, you offer $500 for it I'm sure the seller is going to laugh at you. If the hull is in good shape, up grading the interior(seats, floor,dash panels and wiring) is not a real big issue. Trl looks to be in good shape, The motor(looks to have power tilt/trim) looks to be a early to mid 80's+. Issues could something simple to big time repairs. Take into consideration, the person selling this boat probably is not a boat person. If I were looking for a boat right now..I would have no problem paying $1000-1200. As far as the motor, anytime you buy a motor of that age, your rolling the dice.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My biggest concern is what type of antifoing paint was used. The seller has no idea about the paint. I'm thinking the only way to relieve that worry is by removing it and redoing. The interior work and even the motor does not concern me to much. Having said that I know it gets expensive and the motor could be complete junk or will be after a few uses.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
You can always remove the anti fouling paint job, especially if you do not intend to spend a lot of time in the salt water, if you do you can always redo it. From the pictures, it looks like a great project boat. When you consider the price of a NEW boat of that type,putting some time and $ in a rehab, you could very well end up with a very nice boat for a long time.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Hard to say without a picture or more info....what make?, bowrider?, what year?..70hp Chrysler(YUK!!!!!) last used 2010--4-5 years sitting around. The Smokercraft sounds better...just my 2cts

jbcurt00

Staff member
Chad, have you put your hands on any of the boats you're considering yet?

How close are the ones in Allentown and the SmokerCraft?

If you haven't put your hands on a dozen, or more, yet, you may have a few to see before you find the ONE. My 2cts

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have not put my hands on either of these two boats. Hopefully tomorrow I wil. Look at the smokercraft. The fisher is a good distance away. Just trying to get an understanding of all of them and if they are worth looking at. Thanks

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One more thing, sorry. Am I even comparing apples to apples when looking at the 16 ft smokercraft and the 16ft fisher marine sv2? I'm starting to loose my mind with looking and learning about all the different boats. I also fear I loosing sight of my original goals in buying a boat.
I want something for the wife, daughter and I to fish out of occasionally and just go play with. It would be nice to possibly be able to pull a tube in the future but that's a ways off and probably should not factor into any decisions at this time(maybe get a bigger end boat if that time comes).A lot of time will be spent on an electric only lake but it will also be used on occasion on bigger lakes with maybe a trip or two up to maines lakes.
One thing I just thought of is that I should check the water depth at the launch we would use most. I don't remember ever noticing the depth before when putting our 14 ft cat topper the boat in. It never really mattered with that boat. I also tend to over think and Analyze everything so if that's the path I'm going down please steer me back on course.