Need advice

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted this as a possible one too buy earlier. What are people's thoughts about smokercraft and the price of this one. The seller seems very motivated and winter is just around the corner. I have not been able to get an answer on the "4th" gear problem and I have not saw it in person yet. It looks like buy the pictures the wood is in rough shape which does not bother me too much since I want to tear it down and reduce it anyway. Any opinions?

https://york.craigslist.org/boa/5168342625.html

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry I fat fingered the key board I want to replace the floors and change the console arrangement

jbcurt00

Staff member
4th gear? Seller knows nothing about boats/motor

Owner died? Whose the seller? Do they have legal right to sell it?

I dont need or want anti fouling paint, its hard to remove, un needed in a trailered boat and hides all manner of ugly aluminum hull, esp if the wrong anit foul paint was used. Its not all aluminum boat safe.

Nope, Wouldnt be my 1st choice for a 1st boat

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. The lady said it was her brothers and he died suddenly. He was working on fixing it up. Not sure why they put the anti fouling paint on it unless they planned to us use it in salt water. Would it be worth offering her $500 if the hull seems solid? Are they welded or riveted boats? Or should I just forget about it completely no matter how good the deal is? For some reason I keep coming back to this one, I just like the way it looks sitting in the trailer. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This Smokercraft is the same as Starcrafts in the 80's timeframe. The hull is riveted and is the same as a Starcraft SuperSport. Sort of like a Dodge or Plymouth, one is slightly more upmarket.

jbcurt00

Staff member
At $500, how much pain and suffering are you willing to subject yourself to determine the condition of the hull under the antifouling paint.

Does she have title for boat and trailer, thats transferable to you?b some states require outboard titles too. If she's executer of his will, she can apply for a title in her name, but depending on your state, she may not be able to transfer it to you since its not really in her name, yet. But a call to the dmv should be able to determine process needed to make it a legal transfer.

For a non good running outboard (maybe it is good running, but again, 4th gear?), w possible paperwork delays, its barely a $500 combo, if that.

But thats because I'm not in the market and I cant go see it and put my hands on it before I estimate an 'value'. Nor am I in the same area as you are.

What do project boats w questionable paperwork and iffy motors go for where you are.

Last edited:

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure about local prices as I'm new to these types of boats. My only real boat experience comes from my little 14 ft tiller steer. I'm looking for something to put in the garage and work on over the winter with my daughter. She, my wife and I just want something to go fishing in altogether and maybe joy ride. The lake 2 miles from my house is electric only so that will be an additional expense. What I really need is a bigger boat with deep sides(daughter is clumsy) that is fairly stable just trolling around the lake enjoying the time out. I'm very familiar with working with aluminum(aviation career) so as long as a boat has something to work with I feel somewhat comfortable repairing it. I just don't know what boats are worth and also what's worth fixing and what's not. I know that's subjective to the person and what they want to spend, I don't mind spending some money on repairs I just don't want it to be a hoples cause.

southkogs

Staff member
Let me try an adjustment to the conversation and see if that helps you out a little:

In my experience, an ad like that ones boils down to - decent hull that needs some work, interior is questionable and may need a lot of work ... assume the motor is busted enough to possibly be a loss. For you - wanting to be on the water next season - can you put the potential 30 or more hours of labor in the boat, plus material cost to make it water worthy over the winter, plus purchase a replacement outboard for it?

In other words, is this boat worth the risk? $500 can be a reasonable figure to risk on a boat, but you've got to be realistic that it may mean you won't have a lake ready boat next spring. AND you may have to spend another $2,000 to get it out on the water. $3,500 and you can probably find something that will park in the garage and be pretty much ready to go next spring with some easy cleanin' and maintenance. See the trade off?

I rolled the dice on my boat - and kinda' even made a dumb buy on it - but it worked out VERY well for me. I was ready for the risk and it paid off. If you're wanting something that you can do a little repair to, and really just get it out on the water, this might be too much risk.

If you've not rehabbed a boat in the past, spend a little time looking around the RESTORATION FORUM a bit and see what kinda' trouble you can run into. It'll give you an idea of what you might be up against.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice. I hope I was not sounding like a fool just talking to hear himself talk. I have been lurking, reading and learning for a little while on here. My eyes have been opened more than once about what I thought I knew. I also hope I did not come across as unappriceative with the insite I was just trying to explain myself better so those helping knew what my train of thought was. My biggest problem is I don't know what the unexpected thing are or how much they cost. That's the big unknown and worrisome part for me. I think I will go look at it but will not give more than $500 for it if it meets my inspection. Wether I buy it or not I do appriceate the insite and advice. I'm sure at some point or another, this boat or a different one I will be on here asking many more questions. Thanks

64osby

Admiral
4th gear comment tell me the motor has issues. Maybe a dropped cylinder or a bad coil. Could also need the carbs rebuilt. To me it would be a parts motor until proven otherwise. Motor is also a little small for the hull, max HP should be 85. $100

The hull with antifouling paint is a real negative. As JBC stated you don't know what was used and it may not have been the proper type for an aluminum hull (unless they can prove otherwise). The interior needs to be replaced, most likely the transom too. $200

Trailer appears to be in reasonable condition. Check tires for weather checking, also check the bearings and the lights. $200

If I were in the market it would not be my first choice due to the anti fouling paint. I would offer $350 and max out at $500.

It will cost $1000 to $2000 to fix the boat and added money to repair or replace the motor.

If you truly just want a hull to repower with electric then you could buy it, sell or part out the motor and have a free or nearly free project boat at the start.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the advice. I think for now I will pass on this boat unless the owner wants to come down dramatically in price. Having said that what are your thoughts about this project boat?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/5195025985.html

I'm not sure about it not having a motor and what that's going to end up costing. This one would also have to come down in price greatly before I would buy it but it is in the list. Any opinions? Thanks

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What motor size brand would be a good match for the Starcraft? Where do I look for them? Just trying to do a little research before committing

jbcurt00

Staff member
Whats the rule in PA on trailer titles?

Might use that as the hammer to get the price dropped. As long as transom wasnt done w PT, it looks like a good possibility

Again, put your hands on some. Until you do, its a carp shoot to determine actual condition, regardless of what sellers say in ads or on phone

64osby

Admiral
An 80 to 140 4 cyl johhnyrude on that one.

A 140 might be a little much on the upper side of HP.

It would help to know the year or if it still has the capacity tag it will state the max HP.

We have a 90 on our 21' Mariner and it will hit 40mph with a light load.

I would look for an 85 to 115 for it.

Buying an outboard is sometimes crazy. One that has been pulled will most often sell for much more then one that is on a boat.

The best deals I've picked up are good motors on a junk hull.

For a fishing platform that Mariner would be a winner in my book. If the transom was replaced properly and the trailer was good that price is not out of line IMO.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What would the practicle capacity of the Starcraft be? People/weight.

64osby

Admiral
Depends on the year of the hull Here is Mariner specs for an '86.

mariner2.jpg

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I'm thinking very serious about this one. If it's what the listing says then I should be able to have it ready for spring. At least for the electric only lake.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yes 140 would be up there but i just listed the whole range in the 4 cyl model. Growing up our 21 footer had twin 60s then a 115.