Great Uncle offered his '55/'56 Appleby boat stored INSIDE for the past 30+ yrs.

Teamsturz

Cadet
I know NOTHING about them since I was born in 1963. This is what he said " I have an Appleby 17 foot aluminum boat on a tilt bed trailer. The boat is becoming quite a collectors item since they were only made for a few years. It has always been stored in my garage at the farm, so it is in pristine condition. Everything is original. The only thing missing is the original Martin outboard motor which was stolen and pawned by the pot head which lived unknown to me with his mother when she was renting the house. It hasn't been out of the garage for so long the tires on the trailer probably need replacing. Do you have room in your garage for a 17 foot boat? It has a really broad beam and rides like a dream even in rough water. Your Grandpa Don used to use it duck hunting on the Mississippi when the weather was bad
(which made the ducks fly) because it is so deep. I think my Dad gave it to me new about 1955 or '56. The trailer may need some painting. If you are interested, we can go out there and have a look. I wouldn't want it to just be sold and sit outside and have all the original wood rot away. It is much too valuable for that. ta da **** M". I am CERTAINLY going to take it sight unseen. I already have a boat, but will be MAKING ROOM to keep it in the Family! My 1st question is did they make a 17' boat? I find nothing on it. My 2nd question is what is it's value? - NO INTEREST! in selling, just how tight I have to lock it up. I WILL say that I haven't seen it yet, but anxiously await Saturday for my 1st view/assessment! Obviously, from his communication, I will be in the market for a suitable motor. Any thoughts on what H.P. I should mount on it? I will be retiring from UPS after 30 years at the end of Oct. THIS will be my 1st retirement project for over the Winter when those poor saps are still humping packages in sub-zero temps.
:joyous::lol::joyous:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
i would venture a guess that the cash value would be a few hundred dollars and less without legal documents.... IE not a big 'lock it up' kind of deal.... It's real value is sentimental as you know.... enjoy it

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Agree... I lock everything up... I wasn't clear... I meant you won't likely have people planning elaborate way's to get it out of the garage.

Teamsturz

Cadet
Here's some interesting info about Appleby boats:
http://www.ruralmissouri.org/02pages/Mar02boats.html

I'd lock it up anyway. It is a metal boat...... And as a sentimental boat, IT's irreplaceable, unlike any old boat you might buy off craigslist.

Look forward to seeing some pix of the new to you Appleby

Taking a look tomorrow morning. I'll post pics if it is as nice as Gr. Uncle says. As to Kevin's post, my relatives are STILL pack-rats. I plan to pull open a few drawers in the farm garage and would not be surprised at all if there is the original manual and sales slip - I'm hoping anyway! I'll update tomorrow.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Best of luck.... Btw the " without legal documents" in my post referred to a thief snagging it.... I highly doubt you'd chase him down and give him the signed title so it's value to a thief would be much less than normal.....

IE, I was burglarized for almost $5000 worth of stuff and the thief got $68 for it all at a scrap yard...

Teamsturz

Cadet
Taking a look tomorrow morning. I'll post pics if it is as nice as Gr. Uncle says. As to Kevin's post, my relatives are STILL pack-rats. I plan to pull open a few drawers in the farm garage and would not be surprised at all if there is the original manual and sales slip - I'm hoping anyway! I'll update tomorrow.

I took my look and I'm haulin' it home! - once the renter moves a car and I reseat one of the tires(the other pumped right up). It has the original 4 wood seats, oars, and 2 old style clamp on seats. Once I remove the 1/2" of dust and the debris that has been piled in the boat, I can better assess. I was picturing a jon boat, but it is a nice deep and wide regular alum. boat. I'll post when I get it home and cleaned up.

Teamsturz

Cadet
Best of luck.... Btw the " without legal documents" in my post referred to a thief snagging it.... I highly doubt you'd chase him down and give him the signed title so it's value to a thief would be much less than normal.....

IE, I was burglarized for almost $5000 worth of stuff and the thief got $68 for it all at a scrap yard...

Gotchya. Gr. Uncle contacted me last night and told me he had the original owners manual for the outboard Martin 75. I would rather have the motor, but oh well. I AM going to poke around for an old Martin 75, though. It was originally mfg. by Presto in Eau Claire, WI. I'm hoping I have a better long shot being that I live in Eau Claire.