Thinking About Using a Trashcan For Flushing Outboard

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I would like to try using a trashcan mainly because where I'm at, it is a pain to use the garden hose. I'm wondering a few things about doing so:

1.) What kind of can do you recommend? I was thinking one of those BRUTE ones but they seem kind of tall. Anything wide enough that is shorter?

2.) Once it is in place and filled with water, how do I remove it without getting 30 gallons of water splashed and spilled all over me and the ground? I can ease it out as I trim the motor up but I would only be able to use one hand on the heavy can. I want to keep the water in there to reuse again for when I get back home.

3.) How do I keep the rain water out? It rains a lot here in Florida and that thing would weigh a ton and be a mess waiting to happen when it brims to the top. I would think a custom cover would be needed or a tarp fastened over it and the motor.

4.) Will the tell tale stream go back into the can or would I need an additional tube to direct it back in there?

5.) With or without a cover, would the sitting water be a haven for insects?

Thanks in advance!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use a plastic 33 gallon for my motors when testing, and to get them out, I just hook up to the truck and slowly pull forward and the leg knocks the can over and it drains. Telltale may of may not land in the can, that is going to depend on your motor and how strong the pump is pumping water, so you will have to check it once you are set up. If you don't want rainwater in it, then it will have to be covered as far as bugs, I don't leave my can sitting with water in it, I fill it every single time I run one of my motors and I make sure the can is clean so you don't suck anything up in the pump that can cause problems if your filter screens are not working right, or it can plug the screens.

Alumarine

Captain
I use a spare bilge pump with alligator clips to drain my kicker test bucket.
The water level has to be above the impeller not just the inlets.
When the bucket is empty, turn it upside down.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Trying to keep it partly full and reuse the same water is not practical...

Keep rain out so it can't spill????

What could it possibly hurt to spill a little rain water????

Further I assume you are flushing salt right...
You do realize don't you that your can of fresh water will become brackish with the first flush and gradually become more and more salty....

My .02..... Figure out a better way or place to flush with a hose.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My old 28 hp has no pickup that can use muffs. I fill the can, with the hose, run it, then disconnect the hose at the faucet end and let it siphon out. Done......

Maclin

Admiral
I turn the fill hose into a siphon hose, most of it drains out, certainly enough to make it manageable.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If your object is to flush salt, the can will not do the job.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I would use a livestock well they have a drain and like it's been said if your flushing salt water change out the water every time don't forget standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes so I would empty it each time also the older the water the summer it will be

BCPOLNO23

Cadet
i use a 35 gal. Rubbermaid storage container from Walmart and a 1 gal. pitcher to empty it until I can manage to roll it over and dump the remaining water. Cheap & works for me.

Bondo

Staff member
So, I would like to try using a trashcan mainly because where I'm at, it is a pain to use the garden hose. I'm wondering a few things about doing so:

Ayuh,.... What motor,..?? a 5hp kicker, or a Verado 300hp,..??

Whatever it is, the water level has to be well above the impeller,......

Not just above the inlet screens, but above the Impeller itself,....

The raw water pumps are a flooded entry pump, 'n will Not suck water even a few inches till well primed,...

From yer complaints 'bout usin' a bucket, Muffs sounds awhole Easier to Me,.....

I do I/Os, 'n there ain't a bucket big enough in all the right directions to work properly,...
There for, I use muffs All the time, got several sets of 'em,...
'bout the only "Work" involved is draggin' out the hose, 'n puttin' it away after,....
Still easier than draggin' around a 40 gallon mosquito pit,...