Mercury 9.8 hp steering and remote controls

Sumrcruze

Recruit
I have a 1978 (I believe) Merc 9.8 outboard and would like to use it with a steering wheel and remote throttle/shifting control. Looking inside the cowl, I can see where it was designed to accommodate both but I've never seen one set up. Can anyone tell me where I might find the controls and hardware? Checked e-Bay and other places but don't even see it mentioned.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

unfortuneatly your only bet for the bracket is ebay or craigslist or make it yourself. the kit is NLA. look up the parts brakedown on crowly marine or one of the other high volume distributors as the mercury site no longer has old merc stuff older than the mid 80's

it is simply a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the tiller arm mount (two small embossments). shift cable end bolts to the shift linkage under the cowl, there is a small throttle linkage piece that you may also need to source.

I lucked out and found a complete 9.8LE on craigslist from Kansas that was on a pontoon to convert my 9.8M to electric start and remote controls. shipping was a bit.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Is this just because its cool or for weight distribution?
In my mind a remote setup is unnecessary complication and weight.
If you simply want more weight forward buy or make yourself a tiller extension.

Sumrcruze

Recruit
The setup is to replace a vintage 1956 Merc Mark 25 racing motor on a kit-built racing pram. We built with a wheel and side controls. Although the Mark motor was screaming fast, it was too unreliable at idle speeds while docking and giving kids rides at boat shows. We'll keep looking thanks. I'm sure there's one out there

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Wouldn't it be easier to simply give the Mark 25 a solid tune-up? They're good motors, but do require a bit of TLC to keep them that way. If compression is good, crankcase seals are good, ignition parts are good, fuel pump is fresh, and carb is clean, it'll run and idle with the best of them.

As for the 9.8, the throttle bits are uncommon, bordering on rare. You may have to fabricate something to hook it all up.