12 footer no planning

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Hi eveyone i have question about planing out . if my boat will not plane out is it wieght distribution. Or lack of power . my 12ft v bottom is only rated at 7hp im running a 6hp . the boat just raised up . i couldnt realy give it full 6hp . tough to see over the bow. If i move up the 6 gallon tank how long can the fuel line be . The evinrude does have some trim adjustment but i dont know what postion would help . thanks Rob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Rob,

What's your 12'r made of? Glass or aluminum? I think you're going to need a bit of weight up front and the length of the fuel line needed in a 12'r isn't going to be a problem. What I would do is after adjusting some weight up front I would set the trust bar on the motor one notch up from the bottom hole. Then I would go out and start easing on the throttle until the bow starts to raise, lean forward and shoot the juice to her wide open. If she doesn't plane out for you then your looking at a lack of HP.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
12' v hull boats are really difficult to plane. .period.

Fuel line can be as long as you need it.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like your motor is way out of trim. As mentioned before set your trim bar at the second hole....nearest the transom. Take it out for a test run, then readjust to suit you. Moving your fuel tank forward is not going to make that much of a difference. When starting out, you bow will rise,then lower as you pick up speed. What kind of motor are we talking about?

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
6Hp 2stroke. Its a aluminium Lowe Hull. It is set at the lowest on the transom

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might need to make a "Negative Wedge" out of wood for the Transom and then reclamp the motor. This will allow you to clamp the motor at a steeper angle and force the bow down even more and then use the trim bar to adjust.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Can you post a picture of your boat? Also the current mounting of your motor in relation to the bottom of the hull?

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Ok i can take more if need be

Attachments

• 1441408090955.jpg
    1441408090955.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • 1441408118051.jpg
    1441408118051.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
With you, the motor, and gas tank in the stern, you're stern-heavy. Move some weight forward.

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Some more

Attachments

• 1441408953143.jpg
    1441408953143.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1441409034035.jpg
    1441409034035.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Im taking it out tomorrow. I will adjust trim and wieght. But please tell me what you think . more HP ? Thank you for your valuable. Input . Rob

jbcurt00

Staff member
With you, the motor, and gas tank in the stern, you're stern-heavy. Move some weight forward.
Yep, and from your pix, it looksike you've got the tilt pin in the 3rd highest setting, thats giving you MORE bow lift. Swap it down to at least the 2nd lowest hole and try again.

Weight forward and moving the pin should each get you a little less bow high. Together it might be enough.

When I take the Admiral w me in our 12ft Sylvan, if she's on the center bench, my pin for a 5hp is on the 1st hole, as low as it will go and we do ok. If she sits up front, facing the rear, i can run a little faster w the pin in the 2nd hole.

Unless I'm solo and sitting as far forward as I can and still reach the tiller, on glass smooth water, the 5hp barely gets me on 'plane'. At 225lbs, I'm ok w that. Dont make any distance runs or HAVE much need for speed. Mines rated for a 12, but I got a 9.9hp I plan to run on the next outing. That was supposed to be over the summer :facepalm: hasnt happened yet..... :blue:

Move some weight and move the pin. Bet it'll be much better.

Good luck

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Well i try moving the pin around and she wouldnt plane. I leaned forward move the gas tank up as far a the fuel line would go stowed all gear in bow and it planed. Now the boat is rated for 7 hp whats the max with out being in the news lol

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well i try moving the pin around and she wouldnt plane. I leaned forward move the gas tank up as far a the fuel line would go stowed all gear in bow and it planed. Now the boat is rated for 7 hp whats the max with out being in the news lol

That depends on how you run the boat, and who stops you.

It is illegal here, to overpower a boat.

Check your state statutes.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Look into smart tabs... Also make sure your motor is in tip top shape and running perfectly. Make sure your prop is also perfect and correct for your application... The motor needs to be reaching rated rpm to produce rated power.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
One thing I certainly would do is take out that 6 gallon tank. A 6hp engine would run forever on a 6 gallon tank. Get a 3 gallon tank and save the weight. And try all the other options suggested before buying another engine. I had a 12' V bottom FeatherCraft boat and used a Sears Gamefisher 7.5 HP engine. It really only pushed the boat around. But that was okay with me being a fisherman and really didn't care one way or the other at that time. But I bought a brand new 9.8HP Mercury. And right out of the box, that thing flew (in comparison) from the previous 7.5 Sears. So the engine does play a huge role. If your 6HP is tired, I can easily see it not planning. If I were going to use another engine, I would us a 9.8/10 HP. I realize that is over the recommended HP, but that is just me. Do I suggest you over power your boat... Absolutely not! I will never ever suggest anybody over power their boats... JMHO!

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
On the motor its 1966 I tuned it up with all new electronics . The motor has low use I acquired it from a friend who was going to scap it He thought it was seized up but the lower unit was rusted , On the tank I go all day . My fishing spot is 3-4 miles up river so Im coming back with more then a half tank at the end of the day of me drive around exploring lol I think it can handle it . But I was fishing and had a fish on and wasn't paying attention to the 40 foot bayliner with the twin bigblock chevy flying bye me and a anther boat 20 feet up from me in the narrow channel I almost went ass over head I didn't go for a swim and I caught the nice small mouth bass . I NEED A BIGGER BOAT . just for safety with some aholes who shows no common courtesy or brains and to do it coming and going back from
south river boat club . I like to run in to him on the dock !!!!