Need help identifying model of 76 Fiberform boat

Chrissieboat

Cadet
Hi all, I just picked up a 17 foot 1976 fiberform usi sterndrive OMC v6 165hp with trailer for $200! I'm new to boats but thought this could be a fun project. Any way, the title says it's a 1976 Calk but I can't find that model to be in existence. I also can't any '76 17 ft fiberform with an engine that powerful. I do know that it is a 76 because the serial number is FBF I 727 I M76C-RS, but I can't for the life of me figure out what model the boat is. It's a tri-hull and the bow is very short only 2ft long, it looks like a bowrider with the front chopped off. The middle window of the windshield flips open and the bow has treading, looks like it was meant for jumping off of. The steering wheel (helm?) is set back an additional 2 feet off the bow, so 4ft total from the nose. The back is square and looks like other pics of 70's fiberform models, the front however I can't find. All thoughts and guesses are welcome! Thanks!
photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

The helm looks like it was added on. Cool looking boat. Which OMC drive does it have?

Chrissieboat

Cadet
I wasn't able to find the engine on marinedrive.com using the model number, which is 980706 (and the serial number is W 66398). Is there another site you know of where I can look up the engine? I do know that it's a sterndrive OMC 165hp 6 cylinder inline. Thanks!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome:

Those old Fiberforms are cool lookin' ... they remind me of a couple of the old Evinrude/OMC boats. Dunno' your model though.

Something's not right with your model number on the OMC. You've got an electric shift Stringer 165 ... UNLESS someone's put a newer Stringer driveline in. Got any pictures of the drive? All of the ES models I can find in the later 70s start with 99, not 98. Not sure about hydro-electric or mechanical.

Chrissieboat

Cadet
I found the same thing with the model number, all starting with 99 instead of 98. I'll take some pictures of the drive and post them tomorrow!

Chrissieboat

Cadet
Ok here are my drive and engine pics (i don't know why they are flipped in the thumbnail, sorry). My dad told me the engine is a 250 ci chevy. The boot in the transom is square.
I also figured out that the model number must be for the sterndrive, not the engine: I found this picture that shows a 98 model no (http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7192000&d=1381530122)
Thanks again!
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG photo 4.JPG

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
On the starboard rear of your engine, you should see a tag (you can see mine in this photo):

On yours it should read something like 990227A11. That'll tell us what you originally had ...

The intermediate on yours looks about right, but the drive itself looks like a late 60s model. It's electric shift for sure. I think the number you're looking at is actually the part number for the upper gear case housing.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fiberform called that model a "Bowrider". They made them all through the mid-70's in both 17ft and 19ft versions.
ud0505.jpg