Older top tier cruiser VS newer mid level cruiser? Purchase help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ebbtide has a 27' that is a bow rider cuddy http://www.ebbtideboats.com/ShowBoat.asp?sBoat=2600

went from a 19' bowrider that I loved to a 24' cuddy that I also love. miss being able to beach it and jump off the bow onto the sand, however love being able to spend the night on the hook if need be.

Cabin Cruiser/Express vs large bowrider and makers?

Torn between getting a cabin cruiser/express in the 25-27ft range or a large 25-27ft bowrider. Looking at a late 80s Formula PC 26ft, Sea Ray Sundancer 25, Chaparral Signature 25, these are all cruisers. Looking at a Mariah 25-27ft or Regal Bowrider 27ft - both bowriders. All of these could be purchased under 10,000 with trailer - all are mid 90s models except the Formula its a 89.
From what I know Formulas are the superior boat out of this group correct? Any info or opinions on any of these would be great.
Also I would like to know thoughts on a 5.7 Mer vs 7.4 and also Volvo Penta vs Merc? Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
nothing at all superior about a formula... as you were told in your other thread with the same question... it's ALL about CONDITION.... brand name means VERY little.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
condition, condition, condition

a 40 year old bayliner that is well maintained and stored under a roof would be a better boat than a 5 year old searay left out in the elements.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
From what I know Formulas are the superior boat out of this group correct? Any info or opinions on any of these would be great.
Also I would like to know thoughts on a 5.7 Mer vs 7.4 and also Volvo Penta vs Merc? Thanks

Look at it this way- all manufacturers install basically the same components into into their own hulls. From engines to outdrives to instruments to heads to cooktops to water pumps, water heaters, steering systems, instruments... you name it. They're all made by a small number of manufacturers, and they're all the same from boat manufacturer to boat manufacturer.

The Volvo vs. Merc debate has been going on forever. Forget that, too, I've owned both (though newer than what you're looking at) and if they've been maintained they're both good. Make sure the engine is GM-based and not Ford, make sure the outdrive isn't an OMC, and take it from there

Once and for all, your keys to finding a good 30 year old boat are maintenance and a survey. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. Forget about the brand, will ya?

boatman37

Lieutenant
when we first started looking the first thing we ruled out was anything with a cabin. we figured it would be wasted space. we started looking at open bows, then pontoons. ended up with an aft cabin and love it....the very first thing we ruled out....lol. we haven't slept on it yet but love the ability to get out of the sun or just sit down below and relax with the fan running. can't say that is what will be right for you but we also keep ours at a marina and often just hang out at the dock. if we were trailering it every weekend then the cabin might not be for us

agreed with condition being #1. i love my sea ray but i also got it from the original owner with all service records and meticulously maintained. i would have bought it no matter what brand it was based on condition

My husband and I are looking at 88-90 Formula 26 PC and have found 2 we really like, but have also found a 99 Rinker Fiesta Vee 27, 95 Crownline 26, and a few other mid to upper 90s cruisers we like also. I know that Formula is a top tier well put together quality boat but what would your recommendations be in this situation? Go older top tier or newer mid tier?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
again, as many have stated in your other threads on the same subject. Brands mean nothing on 25+ year old boats or even 10 year old boats. it comes down to condition condition condition. condition is determined by maintenance and storage of the boat.

I would rather have a 40 year old bayliner (bottom tier) boat that was meticulously maintained and garage kept over a 10 year old boat that was left out in the elements to rot.

all these boats get their motors/outdrives from either volvo penta or mercruiser. they all buy switches from either Carling Tech or Cherry or Apem. they all get their steering from one of two companies, and they get their gauges from one of 3 companies. the windshields come from Taylor Made.

All of them buy the upholstery and carpet from the cheapest vendor that they can get it from.

what you get from brand names is on some you get stainless trim pieces, on others you get plastic (read this as the stuff that you never have to worry about)

Boats from the 80's and 90's will have wood stringers and transoms.

all of them are put together by humans, and none of them are engineered to last 25 years (planned obsolescence)

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
again, as many have stated in your other threads on the same subject. Brands mean nothing on 25+ year old boats or even 10 year old boats. it comes down to condition condition condition. condition is determined by maintenance and storage of the boat.

Really. I mean, I like to help, I love to give advice, and I'm ecstatic when it comes to spending other people's money on boats... but how many times are you going to ask the same question, but expect a different answer?

Look at a lot of boats. Find a few you reaaly like (layout, accommodations, styling, power). Of those, pick the one that seems to have been the best maintained. Finally, hire a surveyor to make sure.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...r-etc-for-lake

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged the topics

W/out pix 1st AND then putting your hands on the boats, a 2005 XYZ is basically no different then a 1985 ZYX because they are both used and have a history that may or may not be accurately described by the seller.

The seller WANTS to sell the boat, and unless they are the original owner, they don't actually KNOW the whole history anyway.

It won't illicit a definitely buy response, but if you post pix and links about the boats you are considering, you might get some specific areas to check when you go see them. And the pix and ads may have red flags that push a possible go look into the NO at ANY price pile.

Last edited: