Ladder replacement on Hurricane Deck Boat

fore4me

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1999 Hurricane FD170 Deck Boat with Yamaha 115 Outboard.

The picture attached is not my boat, but very similar. The transom area has a small horizontal platform on each side of the outboard motor. One side is the battery access hatch, the other is my ladder. The ladder screws have loosened and will not tighten up.

I want to replace the ladder with a longer one. However, unless you are Stretch Armstrong, there is no way to access the underside of the ladder to attach a nut or backing plate. The only access even close are three six inch portals directly in front of the engine. So there is no way that I can think of to reach the backside of the ladder.

Has anyone had experience with this type of replacement or does anyone have a suggestion. I have thought of cutting another 6 inch portal between the ladder rungs for access, but would like to avoid that if possible. I also thought of those "wing" type fasteners that spring out when poked through a hole, just not sure if they would be secure enough.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo228366.jpg
    photo228366.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

You may could get by using "jack nuts" They expand on the inside of the panel as you tighten them

Attachments

• photo228383.jpg
    photo228383.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Looks to me like you would have easy access where the steering cable goes through.

I wouldn't use any sort of expanding fastener... I would use large heavy washers or backing plates and normal hardware.

fore4me

Cadet
The steering cable hole is not small enough to get your hand through, however some of those super long needle nose pliers might work. I will give that some thought thanks for the reply.

64osby

Admiral
2743_3.jpg

Might be able to use a few tumble toggles. 1/4 x 20 x 3" should work good.

Would require drilling oversized holes. Some washers or a filler to limit the movement of the threaded rod in the hole. Seal the fillers / hole. Draw it tight and cut off the excess. Cap the nut with a SS cap

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you remove the boot around the steering cable it might help... Also I BET you could find a boot for a bigger hole and enlarge it.