1994 Century 2180 center console with Yamaha 115 hp

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
I live near Pensacola. I've been window shopping used bay boats for a year or two now. I found this 1994 Century 2180 down the road from my house. It is just like the one in the link I provided, but it is in pretty rough shape. Looks like it's been sitting out in the sun for a couple of decades. Cracked, oxidized, and molded gel coat. Needs new upholstery. Motor cowling looks like it's been beaten with chain (lots of scratches and chips). I can repaint it and reupholster it to make it look pretty and new. It's what's under the deck that I can't see is what worries me. This is basically the boat I've been looking for, but I'm scurred. Their asking price is $5900, compared to the one in the link that was a year newer with larger engine and in much better shape that sold for $5800

Does anyone know if these older Century boats were made with all composites, i.e., no wood to rot?

The engine is a 1994 Yamaha 115 hp with indeterminate hours. The salesman said it doesn't have an hour meter. He said he'd take me out on the bay and show me how strong the motor is if I'm seriously interested in the boat.

However, I don't want to have to tear apart the engine after the third outing like I had to do when I bought my boat with a Mercruiser 470.

Give me advice. Give me knowledge. Talk me out of it. Talk me into it. I appreciate all view points.

pckeen

Commander
That era will have wood in it. Check for any sign of soft spots in the floor - if there are any, then you'll be looking at a complete rebuild. I'm fan of Yamaha, and if the story is true, it will be low hours. It it were me, I would get it mechanically inspected, and go from there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So from the research you've shared with us, it's in terrible shape but priced higher than the comp which was in great shape....

What even consider it? Keep shopping and find a nice one...... Unless you plan to make a really lowball offer?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 21 year old saltwater boat in rough shape.....yeah right. . If its in bad shape, it was poorly taken care of. If it was poorly taken care of, then ALL of it was poorly taken care of.

If it were free the cost to make it usable would be too much.

If you want to have fun in your garage with a project, then give him a REAL lowball offer. If you really want to go boating, then keep looking.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I went by again today and took a closer look. The trailer is covered in rust stains from high iron content well water. It looks like it was dipped in red deck stain. This indicates to me a boat that has been sitting up and being neglected. It is obvious by the looks of the topside that it sat out in the direct sunlight for years and years.

This is a project boat for sure, and I was planning on making a low ball offer.

This is an independent guy who has a lot full of used campers, old boats, and a few cars. I'm sure he paid nothing for the boat, but is looking for an person who is totally ignorant of the potential problems in buying one that old, like I was before learning my $3600 lesson. I doubt he'll take a low ball offer because there is someone out there who will buy it as is for that price.