Buying an eBay boat

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I bet if he received a summons for small claims court he's respond.

Not saying you'd win but.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the boat was used in salt water, the manifolds being blocked up could also be a reason that it overheated. Good that you got new manifolds.

I can easily see an engine bill of over $5k including labor and OEM manifolds. Just the manifolds and risers alone are going to be close to $1K themselves.

If you haven't taken the boat out with the new engine yet, I suggest putting a clear piece of hose between the hose coming from the drive and the thermostat housing to see how much air is with the cooling water.

I would also be pulling the drive to make sure the o-ring that is between the drive and the pivot housing is in place and then it should be replaced. You should be pulling the drive yearly anyway to inspect the u-joints and gimbal bearing. I would also be replacing the u-joint bellows since you don't know when they have been replaced.

I boat in Lake Tahoe all he time because I have a house in south lake. Great place to boat.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
bruceb58 - Any recommendations for local marine repair shops?
Never had to use a shop in Tahoe. I am in the Tahoe Keys at the south end and I have a feeling you boat mainly in the north end since you are from Reno.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ouch, can't keep a good man down! Good for you to keep moving on! I dislike quitters, always have. Thanks for the advice!

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is my lesson learned.

1. any used boat is a project boat.

Take a tally of what you think the costs will be, times that by a factor of 2 and if you can stomach it, then pull the trigger. Boats are like cars either you are dumping money on a regular basis or its deteriorating and there is no real way to know for sure how well the PO took care of it. Mine had a rebuilt motor with maybe 12hrs on it and I blew a head gasket as well as had issues with valves out the door. Its no big deal and the PO was awesome about it, but you gotta live with the math.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, I hope all is and remains well, following seas and all