Buying an eBay boat

rrstl3

Cadet
I wanted to offer a cautionary tale about my recent experience buying from a seller on eBay. I won't use the dealers name, because my purpose here isn't retribution. I want to offer a few of the hard learned (and expensive) lessons I've learned in the past couple of months.

As a prelude, I often boated as a kid. Many members of my extended family had bass boats and runabouts. During the summer I have fond memories of my time on the water. In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to share the experience with my kids.

Fast forward many years. My family and I recently moved to the Lake Tahoe, Nevada area, so I decided it was time to pull the trigger and buy a boat. Being a man of modest means, I decided a used boat was the route I would choose. My family and I discussed the type, size and general capabilities we wanted from our new (to us) craft. We decided on a cuddy cabin, 22'-26' with a small block Chevy for ease of repair and ability to find parts. We began searching eBay, finally deciding to bid on a 2004 Chaparral 215 SSi. She looked great in the pictures. I called the dealer, who said he had taken the boat out the previous weekend, she ran great and was ready to provide all the summer fun we could handle. We bought her.

The next weekend, I drove from Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles to pick her up. My first warning SHOULD have been the omission of scratches on the hull from pictures posted in the listing, but nothing earth shattering. The cabin wasn't really as represented either, but not bad. The dealer started her up, and it started quickly and idled smoothly while on the hose. Nothing was quite as good as it appeared in the listing, but I was excited and the kids couldn't wait. The dealer said he had just inflated the tires, greased the spindles and we should be ready to roll. We were off.​ It's about 550 miles back to Tahoe.

Since then, here are the lessons I've learned when I purchase my NEXT boat:

Lesson 1. Take tools with you when you purchase a boat. Check the trailer - YOURSELF - before heading out. After driving the 550 miles, imagine my surprise when I turned into my driveway and one of the wheels fell off. I breathed a sigh of relief when I considered the wheel COULD have fallen off in LA traffic, damaging other cars or injuring someone. As it was, I only had to block my street for 2 hours while I went to get replacement parts and do the repairs.

Cost of lesson: 1 tire, 1 wheel, 1 hub, 5 wheel studs and nuts. $260

Lesson 2. INSIST on taking the boat on the water for a trial. If the sellers refuses, find another. My dealer assured me the boat ran great, and my list of woes continues to grow.

Cost of lesson 2: Accumulating.

Lesson 3. Once you get your new boat home, go over everything... again. Once I arrived home, the kids were excited, the wife was excited and I succumbed to the pressure and took her to Pyramid Lake, Nevada for a short trial. We were away from the dock about 7 miles when the boast died. Literally dead in the water. I raised the engine cover to find a broken alternator belt. Had I checked the belts, I would have surely noticed it was in need of replacement. As a side note, with a dead battery the trim motor doesn't work, something I realized after dragging the skeg 10-12 feet.

Cost of Lesson 3: $150 to the nice guy who towed us in. He tried to refuse, but I insisted. Skeg un-repaired, but not damaged badly.

Lesson 4. If you lack knowledge about boats, or if you're buying a boat away from home, pay someone who IS knowledgeable to go over it for seaworthy-ness. I took her home, replaced the belt, looked over everything and headed out again the next day. 10 minutes into the trip, we were greeted by an ear-splitting buzzer. None of us had any idea what the issue was, so we slowed down until we discovered the temperature gauge was indicating she was over-heating. We limped her back to the ramp, and my wife held her in waist deep water, like a dog on a leash, until I could get her back on the trailer. This is when I became acquainted with the i-boats forum, which has been very helpful and informative in trying to identify the issue and repair her.

Cost of Lesson 4: New impeller, circulation pump, exhaust manifolds, heat risers, thermostat, thermostat housing and a ton of hoses. $1950

Lesson 5. If you're having trouble repairing your boat, swallow your pride and take it to a professional for repair. As an engineer, I often over-estimate my mechanical ability. After having replaced all of the items in lesson 4, I figured my problem had to be a temperature sending unit. After all, everything else is new, right? We were on the lake again, and my 11 year old son begged to drive. It had been doing well, so I handed over the helm. I assumed if she started to over-heat, the soul stealingly loud buzzer would alert anyone within a four mile radius we had a problem. No such luck. As we were motoring across the lake, the head gasket blew, water entered the cylinder, the piston hit the water and ... BAM!! The rod went through the block.

Cost of Lesson 5: ANOTHER tow to the boat ramp, plus a replacement Chevy 350, likely from Marine Engines 4 Less. $5650+labor (lesson 5 learned.)

I hope this long winded explanation may help another neophyte boater avoid some of the troubles I've had. The strange part about the experience has been... We're hooked! We've loved the short bursts of fun we've had on the boat. Our time on the water - away from iphones, ipads, computers, video games and so forth - has been amazing. In the times in which we live, it's rare I get the chance to sit peacefully with my kids (11, 15, 21) and listen to them talk and see them enjoying the sun and surf. We will be back.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Ouch.

Sorry for your issues.
Great post, well written, lots of good advice, hope everyone reads it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Welcome to iboats and the world of boat ownership.
Sounds like a painful experience for sure. Buying a used boat is very similar to buying a used car. One never knows the hidden problems and even though I sell a lot of stuff thru craigslist and try to honestly represent my items I don't always believe what the seller is telling me.. And pictures do lie!

Agree completely with #2. If buying a turn key boat and the seller is reluctant to take you on the water with it then turn and run and don't look back. They are hiding something.

After all this it is surprising that you haven't given up on this one. I think many would have.

oldjeep

Admiral
Here in Canada that is about spot on for a new motor. Used is about half and no warranty. From what I see and read here everything nautical is cheaper in the states.

He lives in the US though ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Have you talked to the dealer, rrstl3? "Maybe" they will work with you so you don't have to foot the whole bill...... It's worth a try......

roffey

Commander
I bought two boats before my current boat. Fist was a 26 foot Welcraft and I blew the motor. Second was a Thundercraft... and I blew the motor. Both were old boats and had issues. I got tired of fixing and figured I would get out of boating or jump in with both feet. I jumped and bought a brand new Stingray and still had a few motor issues but all covered under warranty.

It would be frustrating to buy a boat and have these issues one after the other.

pckeen

Commander
Sorry to hear you had such a rough experience. The price for that motor sounds about right. Hopefully you have a good boat now and get to enjoy the rest of the summer.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for sharing, but this does not seem to have much to do with eBay . . . The issues you speak of are fairly common, and happen regardless of the sales channel used.

Usually, you would have a marine survey, engine inspection and sea trial as part of a purchase process. That is perhaps where an eBay purchase may differ from a non-auction purchase. Even so, you would probably want to have those things done after the fact, just to know the condition of the boat at a detailed level.

Do you know for a fact that the head gasket blew, causing the hydro-lock?

All-in-all, I think your experience shows that you need a fair amount of knowledge about boats and boat engines in order to successfully purchase a used boat and venture out into the water, or you have to have it professionally inspected and maintained.. . but even then, boating life is full of surprises.

Nice to hear that even after all of that hassle and expense, you are still 'all-in' for boating.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Lesson 6 FREE... Do NOT ever limp an overheated or low oil pressure engine in unless life and death... IE blowing a motor is better than going over a dam. Otherwise, as soon as you hear that buzzer or see a gauge redline turn the key off and drop the anchor.
Most likely you warped a head on the way in limping and that's what caused her to die next time out.

Lesson 7 also FREE

Save yourself a LOT of money and order a long block engine from one of the many rebuilders.... $2000 is WAY better than $5000 plus..... Don't buy form any company that specializes in only marine engines... You will be buying some VERY expensive black paint.

Lesson 8 also free NEVER take the wife and kids on any mechanical shake down run and don't take the kids on a sea trial before buying.... Take or leave the wife based on which choice is less painful ;-)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I great write up and sad all the same. However, I am really surprised to not see or read about any hull problems. I mean being a 2004 boat, I was expecting transom, or floor, or even stringer issues. But I didn't read such. Not that I am disappointed, but merely surprised... Hope everything works out for you now. Since you've spent a small fortune, I hope you get to enjoy the outlay of money for a while without any more issues... :thumb:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Lesson 7 also FREE

Save yourself a LOT of money and order a long block engine from one of the many rebuilders.... $2000 is WAY better than $5000 plus..... Don't buy form any company that specializes in only marine engines... You will be buying some VERY expensive black paint.

I just did what amounts to lesson 7, got a long block from a local reputable engine shop, about $2K. All good on the stand, but now, in the boat, is leaking oil from what seems to be the crank shaft seal. I am hoping we can get it worked out without too much pain, then I'll see if Lesson 7 holds true, in my case anyway.

That said, I'm with the OP, have always been on boats, have always loved making and recalling the family boating memories, and will continue in that fashion.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Wow, what a bummer...that model is a beautiful boat. Sorry to hear about your issues. I've taken chances and been lured in and bought most of my cars sight unseen since Ebay Motors started because cars are overpriced in my state and start to rust right away plus you can get exactly the model and options you want. I've been minorly burned one time. I'd say for a boat I'd take less of a risk and not quite be so trusting.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
WHOOPS!!!!!

I totally forgot lesson 8!

Never never never fail to post pictures of your boat on iboats dot com.... Sooo you haven't had a perfect experience so far but you are STILL the proud new owner of what is likely a real nice looking boat.... Let's SEE that sucker!!!! ASAP ;-)

rrstl3

Cadet
No Title

Thanks for all of your advice. I had never heard of a marine survey (I wish I had) when I started this adventure. The one decision that would have been pivotal in avoiding these problems would have been having a survey done.

I'm going with a complete engine - manifolds, risers and all - because my block has an extra hole in it and the heads are both cracked (could have been the trouble from the start?) Additionally, I'm upgrading the 220 horsepower 305 to a 330 horsepower 350. Why you ask? My answer is why not!

The one, and perhaps most troubling, facet of installing the new engine when it gets here is the knowledge I still don't know what was causing her to overheat in the first place!

I was asked to post a picture, so here she is. (The shinier wheel is the one that fell off.)

Attachments

• photo227991.jpg
    photo227991.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1

rrstl3

Cadet
CORRECTION: The shinier wheel is the one that replaced the one that fell off.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The reason it overheated was either the water pump was not working or there was an obstruction somewhere in the cooling passages.

rrstl3

Cadet
MTboatguy - One would tend to think so. Certainly my guess. However I replaced literally EVERYTHING that touches water forward of the transom, with the exception of the motor itself. All hoses, impeller, pumps... The list goes on and on. I even borrowed a bore scope from one of the mechanics at work to look inside the cooling passages around the cylinders. Clean as a whistle. As I move forward, I think it's one of two things: the cracked heads were causing her to get hot, or she was taking on air somewhere aft of the transom. It only got hot when it was over three thousand RPMs, coincidentally about the same speed where it would stay on plane. Maybe a bad suction hose? Bad fitting out back somewhere?