Cargile Cutter

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Any owners or shipmates with experience on board here? I have been looking for this boat for over a year and finally found a '71 28' in my price range. Going to drive over later this week and have a look. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Like any old boat it's condition condition condition... The chances of a 45 yr old fiberglass boat not having major rot problems is probably 2 or 3 in 1000.....

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Thanks for the gloomy albeit, I am sure, honest advice. Just waded through some of the 12 pages of your thread on the "89 Wellcraft rebuild. As you were excited about your Wellcraft so am I with the Cargile Cutter. Was rot something you encountered and how did you ID it? I am not worried about IDing soft spots in decks or transom but it is poking around in the bilges and voids which concern me. Talked to the marina where the boat is berthed yesterday.Was told this boat does not have a modern septic CHT (Collection, Holding and Transfer) system. When it was built a macerator was used and waste pumped overboard or something like that. Was there any kind of holding involved in this system or is just just flush and dump? Now the boat has been at the marina, in the water for several years. I didn't ask if the owners were just macerating and pumping dockside but I kind of doubt it. Any comment on how it works/the use/legality of this system?

Standing by for heavy rolls - Friz

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
On my last 8 or 10 old glass boats... The wellcraft was rot free and all of the others were rotten and needed major work.

You toilet system would not be legal in ANY us waters... You would either need to lock the head door and label it out of service, remove the head, or get a holding tank and eliminate the overboard discharge.

roffey

Commander
On my last 8 or 10 old glass boats... The wellcraft was rot free and all of the others were rotten and needed major work.

I had a 84 Welcraft that was rote free as well, I suspect it has a lot to do with the make.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My wellcraft v-20 rotted out and got rebuilt....
They all rot if allowed to be wet inside.

roffey

Commander
Sounds like a Steven King story.

They all rot down here........

feester

Recruit
hi fritzfreleng,
did you buy the cargile cutter?
they are great boats!
i grew up on one in the 70s and have a '28ft twin aq130c volvo penta.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
feester - yes I did. Bought a trailer and drove up to Nashville (Smyrna) and towed it home. Bilges and engine compartment were bone dry and it was kept in the water at a marina. Interior is 40 years old. This one has a Chrysler 318 (with points), Volvo 270 outdrive and I believe the lower unit is a 250. Anyhow, do you have one now or had one?