Should I consider this boat, or run far far away from it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Ok so sorry... 3 times what it would ever be worth.

IF it's rotten it's junk and not worth fixing.

ReyMatthew

Cadet
I'm not a doubter, but 5,000 is not 5 times more than the boat is worth. I was just looking for a real answer, not a smart ass answer.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There is absolutely no reason to be calling anyone names, come on, you asked and others offered their opinion, we don't call each other names around here! That is not the kind of forum this is!

:grumpy:

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It WAS a real answer and it was given with ONLY the intention to help you..... You can drop the attitude.... We are ALL trying to help you.... Nobody has insulted you or said anything with anything but good intentions.

I didnt look up the value of the boat and also IMHO $5000 may well be a low estimate

The point and core of the answer remains.

IF it's rotten it would be foolish to buy it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
smokeonthewater. What is 5000 times 3? Does it really cost 15000 to fix the transom :censored:?

Never call any member names. You are a guest here and if you don't like the honest opinions being given, then drop your guest pass in the tray on the way out. Show a little class, please.

Last edited:

ReyMatthew

Cadet
I'm pretty sure a boat could be driven for years with a rotted transom. I'm sure half the iboats out there have a completely rotted transom and the owners don't even know about it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I'm pretty sure a boat could be driven for years with a rotted transom. I'm sure half the iboats out there have a completely rotted transom and the owners don't even know about it.

That has nothing to do with the conversation that has been going on, you came in here, asked a question and those with experience offered their opinions, we have a VERY active restoration section that would cover just about anything you can think of and many of us have years of experience in dealing with boats with problems.

I am sure there are people out there driving boats with bad transoms, we see that every single year.

As I said, there is none of us that have to live with YOUR choice, so make your choice and go forward.

Just don't call people names, that is a quick way to get no information when you are looking for it, we don't do that on here, we all pretty much get along with each other, no matter what gets said.

If you like that boat, can get what you consider a good buy, then buy it and if you need help, let us know and we will help, no questions asked, but don't cop an attitude because if you do, nobody will offer anything.

You asked, we answered, sorry you didn't like the answers you got.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Yes it can. Until it sinks.

I just had mine done and all in 4600 buck and i didnt have to have the cap taken off due to the design of mine. Your probably would and due to your design stringers probably bad.

Last point is 'book' value means nothing on a 17 year old boat.

Wecome to the forum, and listen to folks that have been there done that. Ive been boatin 40 plus years and i still learn a lot here

Durango318

Seaman
The transom is one question, but to me that little four banger is a bit too small. If you want to pull up skier it may be difficult especially with more passengers.
Just walk away.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sure, maybe, maybe not. None of those boats have a count down clock on the transom thats indicates what day IS THE day it'll fail.

As mentioned, its your boat if you buy it, fix or use it as you see fit.

But please make sure to let anyone that comes aboard the transom is compromised and let them decide if they really wanna roll the dice and see if that day is the day it fails.

Look thru the resto forum, you'll find a oot of helpful jnfo in there. Then you can see for yourself whats involved and how bad it really can be.

Good luck

82rude

Rear Admiral
Was this boat trailered?If it was a in the water dock boat id be really worried vs a boat trailered all the time.The bolts for the swim ladder keep coming up on line as a problem point for leakage.Take an experienced boater with you if you know one and poke the inner transom ,maybe you will get lucky and only have a small local soft spot vs a total mess.The guys on here are great and are only trying to be helpful.One small piece of advise,dont be blinded buy love,it can cost you big time ,been there done that one and learnt no matter how much I love a boat to step back and think carefully and logically not with the heart.Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
We are trying to help and giving honest opinions we are all boating enthusiasts with that in mind we take real care of our boats and don't normally take risks with that in mind if you do buy the boat and don't fix it make sure you have all the necessary life vests and signaling equipment and stay away from me I don't want to have to deal with the environmental damage that boat could cause if it sinks

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't Larsons after 96 have wood free Structures? Even so I'd be more put of by water smoked floatation.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My boat is very, very similar to your boat. If it is indeed a 98, it will have engineered stringers made of fiberglass and foam, a wood deck, and wooden transom core. There is wood in the front motor mount, but I believe it is just there to give the motor mount screws something to bite into. The real structure is very thick fiberglass.

If you read my restoration thread, you will get a good idea of what you might likely face. If you decide to go ahead and purchase it, I will be happy to share any insights I can to help you along the way. But make no mistake, you have a bit of work ahead of you if you purchase this boat. You do not want to be driving around with a rotten transom.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Then buy it and run it, why bother asking?

tpenfield

Staff member
Can't tell much from those beautiful pictures . . . but a 17 year old Larson with a leaking transom . . . what could possibly go wrong? :noidea:

Be ready for a project . . . if the stringers are synthetic, the transom and bulkhead are probably/most likely still wood. (I think that is a common misconception with boats that don't have wood stringers . . . people often think it means no wood)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
One of the things that make it difficult to ascertain the condition of the transom is the presence of carpeted plywood panels attached to the transom on either side of the keyhole. You can have pretty significant rot, but it will be concealed by the panels. They are not easy to remove because usually a bunch of cables, hoses, etc., are attached to them. In my case, despite looking/sounding solid, about a fifth of my transom was so rotted I could remove it by grabbing handfuls of wood.

One place to look very carefully is around the ladder mounts. That's an area where water often intrudes and gets wicked throughout the transom.

My decision to restore my boat was based partly on the fact that it had been recently repowered with a larger engine and an Alpha 1 Gen 2 leg. If I had not been sure I had a power plant that was in good shape (and would last for some years), I don't know if it would have been worth the work.

Just to give you an idea of cost, I probably spent over $3000 to fix my transom, replace wet foam, and install a new deck. (Stringers, bulkheads, and motor mounts are engineered, so you wouldn't have to deal with them. Also, this would not require lifting the cap of the boat.)

littlerayray

Lieutenant
One last suggestion if this is your first boat do us all a favor and take a boatING course it will help you in the long run

ReyMatthew

Cadet
I've owned boats, but never one that had any real issues. I actually went to look at the boat in person, and I couldn't believe how goo of shape it was in and how finicky the owners were. I spent a lot of time crawling around back by the motor, and from what I could tell was that it was solid in all directions which includes the lader bolts. I believe the gasket gave way and its starting to rot around the out drive in an oval shape. The decking, and everything else seemed like it was in above average condition for the year. Getting the motor out is not a problem, but I think determining if a localized repair is feasible is the big question. Thanks for all the help. After seeing a few threads of people replacing the transom, I know that I would only be interested if I could just do a local repair.

Last edited: