Should I consider this boat, or run far far away from it?

ReyMatthew

Cadet
I have been in contact with a lady that is selling her boat which doesn't live to far from me. So far she seems to be very honest, and explained that the boat has been leaking through the transom for about 2 years. She said the boat has been serviced regularly, and that she had an automatic bilge installed which will turn on and off while they are boating. I am leaving a link to the boat in question, and I have a feeling that I could buy it for around 2500 bucks after talking to her. She also states that the fiberglass feels very solid from the outside, but can see minor stress cracks. Thanks for all the help in advance.

http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/5148981296.html

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Check or have checked the transom assembly.This would require removal of the engine so I would take a pass on that.HOWEVER it may be as simple as a bellows.Either way I would pay someone experienced an hour labor to check it out for you.Any I/o I have ever purchased,I replaced ALL submerged rubber before it hit the water.Can also be a leaking manifold.power steering cooler etc.Lastly the transom itself may be soft......then run away .Not to sound like a male chauv but I would not take a womans word for where a boat is leaking from,not even my wife who is a savy boater.Thats just me and my 2 cents.Charlie

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'd already be there w cash in my pocket but I have the ability to diagnose the leak and determine if it's rotten.

Last edited:

ReyMatthew

Cadet
I've also called around to see what it would cost to have the transom repaired, and I have gotten crazy answers. Also, they've had the boat looked at, and also had that automatic bilge put in due to the transom leaking. I am fairly confident that after talking to her and her husband that it is indeed that. This was their second boat to their cruiser they have docked. In this case, that would be worst case scenario in my book.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Unless you have the ability to diagnosis and fix it, it is going to be cost prohibitive to have someone else do the work, shops are very expensive these days, I would walk away from it because I would not want to spend the time and money fixing it. I have way to many other projects going right now, so it was sit for a couple of years before I could even look at it again.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good looking boat and I would love to have something like it, but just don't have the time to do the work, but it is up to you to determine your situation.

ReyMatthew

Cadet
Some pics of the transom. Thanks, and I wouldn't have asked if I didn't consider just walking away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
If it looks like it don't chance it unless you do core samples.I would say run from it and keep looking.

ReyMatthew

Cadet
It's surprising that they have been using it for the past 2 years that way. I have a mechanic that will work for 12 bucks an hours. What would this realistically cost to fix if we pulled the motor out and sent it in, assuming the wood completely rotted out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Way ore than what it is worth. Or will ever be worth. That boat is already 17 years old.

ReyMatthew

Cadet
With a good transom the boat is worth at least 6 grand, even in August. So don't tell me 5 times more than the boat would ever be worth if you even want me to consider anything you're saying.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
With a good transom the boat is worth at least 6 grand, even in August. So don't tell me 5 times more than the boat would ever be worth if you even want me to consider anything you're saying.

Oops another newby, who doubts what the guys that have been doing this for years have to say, why ask if you don't want to hear the answer? You do realize that if the transom is rotten in that boat you are probably looking at $5000 to repair it correctly don't you? Because if the transom is rotten, you can bet you will be replacing some of the stringers as well. That said, the choice is yours on what you want to do, none of us have to live with your choice.