Doral Quality?

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a 86 Wellcraft Monte Carlo, 94 Rinker 280FV and a 89 Doral Pristancia 300. How is the quality in general of these 3 rigs? Any know issues or things to look for in particular. 2 of them had a survey last year.

jbcurt00

Staff member
For boats of that age, its more about current condition then boat maker, IMO.

What did and didnt the owners do while they owned them.

Most will agree, entry level Bayliners from the 80s arent the best used boat to buy. Typically not in great shape.

I'd still rather buy a Bayliner, if it was pampered, garage kept when not in use and well maintained by an obsessive owner then any 'expensive/well made' boat that was slipped for extended periods, stored uncovered and generally not well maintained.

Put your hands on all 3, take and post pix of all 3.

Which 2 had surveys?
Who did the surveys, know anyone that knows the surveyors?
Have you read either survey?

IMO, a survey last year is only marginally helpful. Lots can change in a year, esp areas w lots of rain, snow and cold temps.

Good luck

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Keep shopping. Wellcraft was a good boat, by now, who knows. Rinker is average quality, but current condition is key. Doral are good boat, but they are no longer in business.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Wellcraft is a very solid boat.I know 2 friends that owned a Monte and were very happy with the ride in rough water.Also spend some time on the 30 Doral and THAT is a pretty boat !! Beautiful cabin set up and aft.The head/shower is also very nice.All aroud much nicer and much more up to date looking.Being very familiar with all of them the Doral would be my choice by far.Most of that model were built with twin V-8 mercruisers with alpha drives and no a/c or generator.Charlie

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wellcraft is a very solid boat.I know 2 friends that owned a Monte and were very happy with the ride in rough water.Also spend some time on the 30 Doral and THAT is a pretty boat !! Beautiful cabin set up and aft.The head/shower is also very nice.All aroud much nicer and much more up to date looking.Being very familiar with all of them the Doral would be my choice by far.Most of that model were built with twin V-8 mercruisers with alpha drives and no a/c or generator.Charlie

Thanks Charlie, This Doral has twin 4.3 Mercs which appealed to me for economy but hoping it doesn't make it a slug!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
have a friend with a 29 SeaRay with twin V6 .Pretty much had to run it at high throttle all of the time.I don't know if you should expect economy since you will be running at higher rpms.Love that boat though!! Check for a stress crack in the floor of the cabin near where the main goes into the aft running port to stbd.Charlie

Slip Away

Lieutenant
The Doral will be a slug. Plus, if you ever need any specific brand related parts, you will never find them.
Engine parts, no problem, but if you need a vent cover, your are out of luck.
Also, future re-sale will be difficult, that is why you see older one's for "affordable" prices, owners just can't
get rid of them.

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
have a friend with a 29 SeaRay with twin V6 .Pretty much had to run it at high throttle all of the time.I don't know if you should expect economy since you will be running at higher rpms.Love that boat though!! Check for a stress crack in the floor of the cabin near where the main goes into the aft running port to stbd.Charlie

Hey charlie, the doral does have the stress crack you mention. Do I walk away or is it still structurally sound?