Old aluminum runabout - worth a rescue or an expensive pipe dream?

Techstudent

Cadet
Hi guys,

New to the forum. I took a ride to the coast with my folks yesterday and this old aluminum runabout caught my eye. I was thinking, man, a classic rig for stalking landlocked salmon on inland waters!

Would any of you know what the make or manufacturer would be and, roughly, what year? I kind of like it the way it is but a couple of holes where the control cables enter and some pitting on the chrome. Windshield is cracked at the top and a few holes were drilled near the bottom. I know quite little about boats but work on my own cars and am not afraid to learn as I go. The owners wife said it "does not leak and they just installed a floor". They are Asking $600 as it sits and I was thinking of offering maybe $400. I'm wondering if It would be worth a rescue or if it will be an expensive nightmare?

Whatever it is, it has character in spades but I'm guessing it needs a fair bit of work.

Thanks for any input! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 1

Techstudent

Cadet
A few more photos.........

Attachments

• IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
Worth it

Only you can deicide that

Depending on length, it might be a Malibu, by Lone Star. But definitely a LoneStar

For $400, it could be a reasonably decent project at a reasonable cst

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will take at least three times as long as you expect and cost twice as much.

But you have come to the right place, there are lots of people resurrecting old aluminum boats.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks to be a late 50's model and as JB stated, it is a Lone Star, but the fins in the back pretty well date it.

southkogs

Staff member
It's a lot of work ... but a good restore job would make it a pretty cool lookin' little boat.

Techstudent

Cadet
Thanks for the info guys! I'm appreciative. I think it's a cool rig but am trying to be realistic about it. The boat seems rather narrow and I wonder how it would do on a rough lake. I'll give it a bit of thought. Maybe make an offer and see what happens.

Heck of a lot easier to fix up a alum boat over a fiberglass one. My wife and I are slowly restoring a late 60's Starcraft Falcon. Were we live is full of small inland lakes, so a small runabout is what we wanted. I had to do a transom replacement, which is fairly straight forward on this kind of boat. Restored boats are all the rage localy with lots of them being fixed up and returned to the water. Mike

Ned L

Commander
This would be ok on most reasonable lakes. If you are interested in getting into boating via a project, an aluminum boat is the easiest way to do it. Unless you really go overboard something like this would take more time than money. The two most expensive items could well end up being an outboard to hang on the back and a steering system if that one needs replacing. (Oh, and purchased back to back seats if you go that route.)

(Ballpark you might be looking at twice what you pay for the boat and trailer for a nice running 25 - 40 hp outboard to hang in the back, and 200 - 300 for a whole new steering set up if it needs it.). Seats about 150 each.

Could be a nice boat.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Make sure the new floor they just put in isn't treated wood... If it is it must be removed asap.

NYBo

Admiral
Boy, they did a real hack-job on the hole for the outboard controls.:eek:

What do you plan to use for a motor?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There was one of these for sale locally to me this spring in about the same condition and same color. Guy was asking $300.00 which I thought was fair if someone was looking for this style project. I'd be thinking a late 70's to late 80's 30-35hp OMC should power that thing very well and they are readily available.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Worth it? As said only you you can say if it is to you.

Trailer looks to be in decent shape, paint isn't horrible, and I bet you'd be surprised how it good it looks with a good cleaning.

At worst you'll have to put a transom in it (more time than money) and find and hang a motor to get it on the water. From there you can work on it as you go.

That really is a hack job in the back on the controls but aluminum is fairly easy to work with and that can be patched to be made better looking (perhaps better working too) fairly easily.

I say jump on it! :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
We have a Lone Star 15 ft bare utility. It is rugged. it was new when we got it in the 50s. Has suffered 50 years of neglect.
It handles well with 2 to 4 people aboard. and a 25-40 hp.It is touchy when attempting dis embark or board at the forward seat.
Roughly where the windshield is on the runabout.
Fiberglassics.com has information and many catalogs for all kinds of brands both aluminum and fiberglass.
If you look around a little you may find a Lone Star forum.

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
Definitely late 50's. Lone Star did make solid boats. I've looked at several and was impressed.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yeup, one can go as basic as it gets or go full bore which is the beauty of tin boats. It's all up to the builder.

I've picked up a second boat that will be a basic refit for the year and then I'll see what happens. Picked this one up cheap and figure right now I've got about $900.00 into it. Including the 1994 30hp Johnson. Finally ready for the water and some fish.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...e-topics/9956461-another-one-followed-me-home

Techstudent

Cadet
Thanks for weighing in all! I'm grateful for the comments.

Are there any options for plexiglass windshield repair, restoration or replacement? I assume finding an original in great shape is impossible.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There is a thread here on the forum of a member that cut and bent a new one but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Windshield options -

Haze can be cleaned/cleared up with polishing and if the cracks are minor it can be used and "lived with".

Some have had success cutting and bending in a new piece of plexi but that one has some sharp bends.

There are companies that you can send your old one to and they can make you a new one but that tends to be spendy.

Most I've seen will watch for a newer used one and adapt it fit

Make you own

and of course you could go sans windshield.