Bennett Trim Tab Failure - 2 issues....or more!! Looking for any and all guidance

cheswest

Cadet
[h=2]This is my first shot at this forum but I am in need of some pretty specific help here. I have a 242 Regal Commodore that is in fantastic shape. That is, until the beginning of this season when just after a few short day trips, I discovered my ATF in my Bennett Tab reservoir was all but empty. I did a fairly comprehensive inspection of the whole system and found no sign of fluid loss inside the bilge or outside the transom. I refilled and after another 2 hour use, came back to the dock, opened the engine cover and discovered more fluid missing! This time, I broke out the flashlight and sat in the bilge for 25 minutes and lo and behold I caught a tiny "drool" of ATF coming from around a through-transom screw that holds the support rod for the swim platform...ie...coming from inside the transom cavity / core. I did some research on here and found that the pipe nipple can fail and blamed that...So I pulled it out and discovered that though the nipple was fine, it had been installed (seemingly at the factory) cross threaded and the fluid had pushed back around the sealant into the transom wall. When I pulled the screws from the actual tab mount bracket, fluid actually drained out through two of the holes!! I have gotten most of the fluid out, I'm thinking and have ordered a new top hinge - part 18. I'm thinking I am close to reinstalling....But before I do: 1. thoughts on effect of ATF on core / glass? Should I be panicked? 2. What can I use to clean surfaces before re-seating nipple and screws with 5200? 3. Should I use a thread sealer just to be sure...once bitten twice shy. I don't want to go down this road again. I prefer the bubbling oil to be left with the Beverly Hillbillies and not every screw hole in my transom. Cheers Ches[/h]

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't panic... It's not GOOD for the wood but not likely to be a major problem in the next 40 years or so.... As for cleanup, if it were mine here's what I would try...
I'd set up a vacuum tank... Pretty much any steel air tank would work... I'd connect my air conditioning vacuum pump (you can get one at harbor freight) to it up high and a hose that will handle vacuum down low...
Then I'd use a funnel sealed to the transom over a hole down low to attach the hose... Next I'd turn on the pump.

I'd start taping over every hole I could find that let air in....

Doing this indoors in dead calm a smoke source such as a cigarette can allow you to locate air leaks easily...

No guarantees but there is a fair chance this will remove a fair amount of the injected ATF and allow you to clean n get a good seal with the 5200.

If you have to buy a vacuum pump (needs to be electric) it's gonna cost ya a bit but it's really the best thing I can think of short of ripping her apart which of course you wanna avoid at all cost.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
How old is the boat / Trim Tab system?

If you had contacted us first we would have sent you a new upper hinge and instructions to change it, plus a clip to hold the piston in place, no charge. If you send me your name, and address we will mail them to you.

No need to use Teflon tape where the nipple threads into the upper hinge. It can be used on the 90 degree elbow to pipe nipple though. Make sure you tighten the nipple two turns past finger tight, no more.

I do not think the ATF will harm the fiberglass / core like water would. I would simply get it to the point where it is not dripping out and wipe the area down with acetone and seal with 5200 or 4200.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Last edited:

cheswest

Cadet
Hi

The boat is a 1997. The tab system has been flawless up until this. I am totally happy with it and understand they can't last forever. Also sure it was an install fault that even so, lasted 18 years...that's amazing. Thanks for the advice on the tape . I will absolutely follow your instructions....I am glad to hear about the ATF...I suspected it was pretty harmless but wanted an experts opinion for sure. My address

Mod EDIT: home address removed

That's up on the far Eastern shore of Canada - as evidenced by by profile pic next to the iceberg...I really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Ches

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ches
Best not to publish your actual address on an open forum

I have removed it, but did send it to Tabman via a private message (PM).

Please keep the info and discussion about parts etc in PMs not in the open forum.

Tabman, check your PMs

Thanks
John

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Ches,

Please send me your name and address in a private message, John sent me the address but I wish to confirm your name. We can mail the parts to you, it will take awhile to get there since we are in Florida.

Thanks,

Last edited:

cheswest

Cadet
Hi All

Thanks for feedback...have set up vacuum pump and going to let it run for approx 12 hrs...I figure that will give me a good indication of success and if it appears to be working, I'll run it a full day...before reinstall, I'll do a full surface prep inside and out to be sure to get a solid bond. Huge thanks to everyone.

cheswest

Cadet
A final note of thanks to everyone - tabman is THE man.....the repair has been a total success - got some great Fall boating in - just winterized today as way up here in the North Atlantic things get real cold real quick....fair winds fellow mariners.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just to close the loop- did the vacuum pump do any good in removing ATF from the core?

Bondo

Staff member
- tabman is THE man....

Ayuh,.... Couldn't agree more,....

Tom has the greatest job in the world,....

Puttin' Smiles on the faces of folks, all over the planet,......

cheswest

Cadet
Just to close the loop- did the vacuum pump do any good in removing ATF from the core?

The vac pump was perfect...inserted capillary hose through the screw holes for the tabs and pulled out close to a quart....which is essentially everything, I'm guessing. Brilliant. JoLin

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
That is great news! Delighted to hear everything worked out.