Poly glow

danflee

Cadet
Hello i am wondering about poly glow, when i polished and waxed my boat i was actually getting paint color on my polish cloth so im assuming that my gel coat is pretty well gone and wondering if poly glow would b safe and effecgive to polish with, from what i have read its a gel coat restorer but do not want to hurt my boat. Im hopeing some one has had this experance and can point me in the rite direction thank u

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've done a lot of research on this. I've looked at reviews on the Chaparral forum, the Hull Truth, The Bayliner Owners Club and here on iboats. Half of the people who have used it love it and half hate it. Plan on putting on at least 4 coats, buts it's very easy to apply. It also difficult to remove. (use floor stripper). With that said I have had it on my boat for all of three weeks now and am still pleased. I only did the colored strip not the white.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have used PoliGlow on my sailboat. It is good for restoring really oxidized gelcoat. If the gelcoat is not all that bad, then Poliglow will not be as good a solution.

You need to get the surfaces that you are going to treat really clean and keep dust away from it. 4-5 coats would be about right for really oxidized gelcoat. The first and second coat will be quickly absorbed into the surface. the third coat should start to look shiny.

Here are pictures of my sailboat before/after poliglow . . .

Before

dullhull.jpg

After . . . the applicator & tray, plus a close up of the hull

polikit.jpg

It stayed that way for a couple of years and then needed a re-coat after the third year.

Last edited:

danflee

Cadet
Wow that looks amazing im impressed thats what i was hoping to hear do u think i will have any problems where i can polish and see paint on my polish cloth if not then ill probably go ahead and order a kit and get to work thank u both for ur replies

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As tepenfield said the key of good prep. I pressure washed, used the cleaner, then pressure washed again. Any stains, dust, or marks will be sealed in if your not careful.

tpenfield

Staff member
How did you prep for the re-coat?

don't really remember :noidea: might have used the prep solution. Mostly the topsides needed the re-coat due to sun exposure. The hull was still fine.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No don't use the prep solution. It will remove part of the original coating. Just a good boat soap then rinse with clear water.

danflee

Cadet
That sounds good to me since im not really sure how much gelcoat is left on my baot ill get some clean it real good and slap it on and see what it does

MRS

Commander
If you have chips in your gel coat not all the way down to the fiberglass or scratches in it that look like white lines will it darken them up when applied? Mine is dark blue so just wondering.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do the scratches and lines seem to go away when just wet with water? If so the answer is yes.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Wet sand those scratches and chips first.... Work slow and watch closely... If the color starts to change at all STOP.... Don't wanna sand through your gelcoat..

Just softening the edges of the scratches n chips even a little will help.

MRS

Commander
Thanks might have to try the poly stuff cause nothing else has worked.
Will give it a little test on the scratch marks first.

danflee

Cadet
Just ordered some off of ebay gonna have it.in a few days then ill get to work lol thanks for the info guys i appreciate it

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I applied Poli-Glow to my boat a few months ago. I used it from the gunwales down. If it holds up okay I'll do the topsides. What I would advise is to buy the kit and follow their instructions TO THE LETTER! First, the Poli-Prep to prep. I scrubbed and scrubbed every square inch up, down and sideways. A Scothbrite pad works better than the scruber they supply.

Next, Poli recommends a MINIMUM of 6 coats, and they're right. I used up to 12 coats on a few areas like the transom that had been exposed to direct sun for many, many years. The finish for the first few coats will look 'streaky' and you'll start to wonder if you made a huge mistake.As you apply successive coats, however, the finish will gradually get consistent and very smooth and shiny.

Make sure the boat's surface is cool. You may need to do the job over a couple of days to accomplish that. If the sun warms it, the applicator will begin to drag and you'll see a bit of a 'grain' in the finish.

Pay attention to their warnings about using harsh cleaners, spilling gasoline or other solvents on it, etc. Also be aware that you need to apply a couple of coats every year. If you aren't prepared for the upkeep, don't get involved with it. It'll probably look like crap in a couple of years.

It didn't make my hull look like new, but it took a good 15 years off it. I think it looks terrific.

danflee

Cadet
I got my poly glow kit in and just finished my boat and im amazed it turned out great espically for the price its not like haveing it re gelcoated but its the next best thing plus i have saved thousands compared to a recoat thank u all for ur advice it went great i recommend it to everyone just have to take ur time and keep it smooth

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I got my poly glow kit in and just finished my boat and im amazed it turned out great espically for the price its not like haveing it re gelcoated but its the next best thing plus i have saved thousands compared to a recoat thank u all for ur advice it went great i recommend it to everyone just have to take ur time and keep it smooth

Pics?

danflee

Cadet
This is a half and half with just three coats

Attachments

• 20150812_202523.jpg
    20150812_202523.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0