Aluminum/fiberglass car-topper vs. inflatable for family boat - help!

Aluminum/fiberglass car-topper vs. inflatable for family boat - help!

• Aluminum or fiberglass car-topper

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Inflatable with wood floor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the canoe, you're out of your depth!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mofo83

Seaman
Hello,

Our family of three is not a fan of our tippy canoe, and would like to upgrade to a used row boat of some sort. This will be used mostly just for goofing around on small to large lakes and occasionally fishing and/or boating to camping sites. May be used rarely on relatively calm saltwater bays/coves/etc, maybe rarely on a river, if possible. I do NOT want to have to use a trailer, and my budget is VERY limited ($400-ish).

Here is my want list:

Most Important:
* Easy to handle/load
* Stable
* Can comfortably hold two adults and 1-2 children, plus occasional camping gear

Slightly less important:
* Relatively easy to row
* Could mount motor in future
* Durable and/or easy to repair

After checking Craiglist, I see my options being either a small, car-topper aluminum or fiberglass boat (like a 10-12 footer), or an inflatable boat with a removable wood floor (probably a 9-10 footer.) Lots of options in my price range between the two.

The thought of lifting the boat on and off my small SUV roof REALLY doesn't thrill me, so I lean toward the inflatable; just throw it in a bag and toss it in the back. Plus they're supposed to be quite stable, which is important. I see a couple nice, garage-stored Avon Redcrests and some West Marines in middle of my price range. But, I'm worried these might be too cramped for two adults and two small kids.

Plus, an aluminum boat would be more spacious, would have better seating, would be easier to mount a motor to in the future, would be easier to row (right?) and more durable... that's a lot of advantages. BUT, I'd have to load it on and off of my car, which is a bummer.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would go with a 12 foot aluminum, they don't weight that much and they have good enough room for what you are describing, not heavy at all.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is a tough and interesting challenge. I agree that a 12' aluminum boat would perform the best but I would be concerned with getting it on and off of your roof and down to the water. I know my wife would not be comfortable helping me with it. Inflatable boats tend to be pricy for their size and a used one in your price range is going to be pretty small or old and developing leaks especially if you are frequently folding it up. They also don't row as easily and tend to require more motor to get the same speed as an aluminum jon boat. Are you pretty handy with fixing/building things? Building a nesting boat from a kit may be a possibility for you but you will spend every bit of your budget and more on materials. Reconsidering your aversion to trailers would open your options up a lot.

mofo83

Seaman
Thanks for the input. I have always wanted to build a boat, but this is probably not the right time for that option, unfortunately!

The more I read, the more it sounds like an aluminum boat is REALLY the best option.

I had been looking at V-hulls, but it actually seems like a flat-bottom jon boat would be even more ideal for my situation? More room, more stable side-to-side. I won't be taking it into rough water very often anyways.

Maybe a 10-foot jon boat would be a nice compromise... still more room than an inflatable but easier to load than a full 12-footer?

I see one 10-footer on CL with three seats, that they say is super lightweight and easy to load. $500. And just saw another 10-footer on OfferUp that's only $300...

Last edited:

mofo83

Seaman
Eww... just noticed the weight capacity on a 10-ft jon boat is NOT much! My wife, kid and I are probably over the limit alone. 12-foot it is...

Am I wrong to lean toward a flat-bottom boat? Would a V-hull be just as good for my situation? There are certainly more V-hulls available. Just worried about side-to-side stability?

Thanks

Last edited:

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A jon boat "v-hull" really doesn't have much V to it at all so I wouldn't worry about it. I would favor a boat which is wider at the waterline but wouldn't limit the search to flat-bottoms. I expect your limiting factor to be what you can comfortably lift onto the roof.

southkogs

Staff member
At that size ... nearly any boat is gonna' be light enough to rock noticeably on ya'. I've never owned a flat bottomed boat, but I doubt the "stability" at that size is going to be a major advantage.

mofo83

Seaman
Got it. So really, a totally flat-bottom boat and a boat like this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/5110768646.html

or this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/5125309426.html

... will be similarly tippy? I thought maybe flatter would be somewhat more stable.

How tippy are we talking? I'm comparing to a cheap canoe... just looking for something my wife and kid can sit in without us all having to hold still constantly, haha.

What about a fiberglass Livingston-style boat? Or should I stay on the path of 12-foot aluminums...

Thanks

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The second one you posted has really rounded chines and I would expect it to be pretty tippy (tender), can't tell as much with the first. I would look more of a defined chine to give better stability.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I would expect it to be better. A little hard looking at pictures of boats that are right side up but you get the idea.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
From every thing you have posted, the best option for you, unless you're a big brute of a guy and can lift a 200# boat by yourself, is it take the plunge and get a boat with a trailer.

Small suv's are still pretty tall and difficult to load a boat onto.
They are narrow and difficult to secure a boat to.

With a trailer, you take all the physical work out of going boating.
You can get a slightly larger boat, 14', wider, more stable, etc.
You can stow your oars, cooler, life jackets, cooler, etc, in the boat for transport to the lake.

Just my opinion, but based on experience.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we used to camp with a couple that didnt have a trailer. they had a 12 foot row boat with a 15hp tiller. they hauled it on their truck or on top the pop-up camper.

not a vary stable platform.

I would recommend a 14' boat. however at that size, you will most likely want a trailer.

mofo83

Seaman
Thanks for all the input!

MTboatguy... I have roof racks that are about 46" wide, so I will almost certainly need to use some wood to add width and further stability, just like the link you provided. Thanks! NYBo, that also looks like an interesting idea to steal!

As far as a trailer goes... I literally have absolutely nowhere to store one. If I did, I would definitely be open to it. But as of right now, it has to be a car topper (or inflatable).

Like I said, I don't necessarily need a boat that I can spend all day on, fish extensively, or go long distances on rough water... just something fun to dink around on our local lakes, to replace our overly tippy 13' canoe. Occasionally I would like to access boat-in campsites, most of which are less than an hours paddle/row from the landing. Maybe casually fish now and then.

Seems like a 12-foot aluminum could conceivably fill these needs, and would be at least manageable to get up on the cartop, with a little grunt work?

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A small trailer will only be a foot longer than the boat, and 18 inches taller. If you can store the boat, you should have room for the trailer.

Well, bless you are gonna leave the boat on top of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.