Trim Tabs for a 16 foot tinny

Rampant Johnny

Recruit
Are trim tabs useful on a 16 foot aluminium boat? What advantages do they offer. I'm looking at the Nauticus Smart Tab. Do I just fit and forget it, or do I have to adjust it aaccording to conditions as I go along? Anything that saves me fuel and gives stability would be a good thing.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't expect to save enough fuel to notice if any but do expect a better ride, and quicker planing.

Yes once dialed in you never need to mess w them.... You will still need to trim the engine differently based on how you load the boat such as if you have more or less people on board.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I think there's trade-offs. At planing speeds, they could allow a better hull angle, potentially increasing speed or improving fuel economy, but only if your current engine trim is compensating for a bad hull angle. At slow speeds, you may get less of that annoying steering wander, but the increased drag at trolling speed could increase fuel consumption slightly. - Grandad

Rampant Johnny

Recruit
Thanks for your advice. I think I'll give them a try (as soon as the Chief Inspector is looking the other way and doesn't notice I'm spending money on the boat. Again.)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Make sure you get the correct # model for your boat. Depending on the 16' tinny and motor set up you may only need the 40# model smart tabs. I have the 60# tabs for my Chief and i's a heavy V6 IO rather than a OB.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been considering the same thing on my boat, a 16 foot tracker. My main goal is to smooth out the ride, provide a little more control at speed, and maybe reduce bow rise at slower speeds. I'm not sure this is the route I should take but I'm certainly interested to hear your results.