1988 Force 85 - where do I start - LOL

adustydog

Recruit
I got this motor for free, with a 1961 twenty-foot Hawkline boat & trailer about Aug. 2013. It sat outside, unused for 14 years - but previous owner had filled cylinders with oil & replace plugs. When I got it home: The existing starter spun motor easily, but wouldn't start. Cleaned/re-built all 3 carbs & replaced all fuel lines. Still no start. After trouble-shooting, we replaced nearly all electrical items (except starter) from a newer donor motor, up-grading everything with the 'black' power-packs & plug-in harness connectors. (originally had 'blue' packs & the terminal-strip, with all the separate screws)

Bang...started right up & ran fine. (driveway, with muffs) We then replaced water-pump impeller & lower-unit oil. During test-drive, everything worked just awesome, except not a whole lot of power. Eventually, we RAPIDLY increased throttle manually, to wide-open, several times. (via carb-linkage) Everything cleared-out & motor started running fantastic. Used it for last 3 weeks of Summer, with no issues.

In 2014, we used the boat for the full-season & never had a single issue. Only thing we did was add a water-separator, before Spring started.

This year, motor was again working great, except didn't seem to have quite as much power? Just kinda lived with it, as this boat is used mainly for fishing, in a fairly small harbor.

Couple days ago, out of the blue, it started bogging-down & running rough - at all speeds & idle. Finally stalled & was tough getting re-started. We headed right in. On the was, this scenario repeated itself about 6 times & finally wouldn't start, at all. Luckily, we were only 30 yards from the dock, with zero wind /current & were able to drift in on our momentum.

Got it home & started investigating. Could run motor, but rough & kept stalling.

So, finally - my question - What's wrong with my motor? Here's some clues - LOL

I have spark in all 3-cyliders & good gas flow, with known good-gas.
Cleaned plugs - seemed to help, but not much difference. Replaced wires - possibly ran just a bit better? Replaced plugs - no difference, but here's where it gets weird. The motor will run on just the top and/or just the bottom cylinder - or just those 2. When center plug is removed from block - motor seems to run as good, or better than on all 3-cylinders?

While running with #2 plug-hole open, I tried replacing it's plug. The moment you get it seated & start first turn, the motor dies? Every time. I was told a reed-valve may not be letting exhaust out of the cylinder. Removed them yesterday & they appear fine. Zero-gap on any, when closed. All seem to open, with little effort.

Simply re-installed everything & started over. Motor started right up & seemed to be running fine. (driveway & muffs) After running at idle for about an hour, with intermittent throttle manipulation, everything seemed to be fine. Went for test-drive.

Boat in salt-water. Started right up, perfect idle. Backed out of ramp-area with tons of power. More that I think it ever had. Put it in forward & it stalled...was hard to re-start. Got it going and did a few laps in reverse. Everything seemed great. Tried going into forward...zero power, then stalls? I am stumped.

adustydog

Recruit
Almost forgot - the motor started back-firing, sporadically, before the initial problems started. While in driveway, during trouble-shooting/repairs, it was also back-firing. As soo as it does back-fire, it stalls.

More up-date...Now found out that 'spark' seems to come & go? At one point, only the bottom cylinder had spark. I swapped power-packs, but it changed nothing. Bottom still had spark, other 2 had none.

Could my problem be the ignition switch, or it's wiring?

Also, my compression is low. Top = 80, Middle = 84, Bottom = 86...rut row

Last edited: