1986 Volvo penta stern drive with tilt only.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With a tilt only system, how do you figure out where to lower the drive in order to drive to boat most efficiently? Or is the drive supposed to be all the way down? Please advise. Thanks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
All the way down... Not sure if your model has a trim adjustment outside the boat.. IE a pin that limits full down position...

Otherwise there is no adjustment... Up for trailering and down for operating

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Every time I come in to trailer the boat or to tie off on shore it hits bottom. I have broken on output shaft and keep skinning my prop. How do I prevent these issues?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I suspect (tho I can't say for sure) that you could tilt up some and idle only...
I just did some searching and it does look like you have a trim pin you can adjust for best performance but it will be one position only.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Did a little research for ya and the general consensus seems to be that tilted part way up at idle is ok but absolutely do not forget it is up and apply power... There is a clutch in the tilt ram that will it to slip down but it can do damage....

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have four holes to pick from. 3 across and 1 above the middle. Right now it is in the lower middle one. Would it be best in the hole that is the farthest out?

captmello

Captain
I have four holes to pick from. 3 across and 1 above the middle. Right now it is in the lower middle one. Would it be best in the hole that is the farthest out?

The upper middle is not an option. The one its in is typically the place you want it. You can try the other two holes and see how it behaves. You'll notice the bow will ride higher using the hole furthest from the transom, and you may gain a little speed, but the hole shot will suffer. Opposite for the hole closest to the transom, the hole shot may be better, but the bow may plow once planed out. try it and see.

tilt up at idle speed only and only half way up, you'll damage the ujoints if you run it all the way up. For towing use one of these, they work great. It also replaces the trim pin.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta...ive-/251905996976?hash=item3aa6c478b0&vxp=mtr

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Had the same drive and loved it except for the no trim! Very easy for the DIY guy to work on.
If your constantly hitting your prop (beaching i assume) You need to turn the engine off and raise drive and coast in. For loading, Stop power loading your boat and winch it on.
The trim pin has 3 spots it can go. I found for anything over plaining speed to WOT the last one hole out was the best for ride and speed BUT.
My hole shot suffered and went bow high for to long taking off so i installed Smart Tabs. Worked wonders.
The Upper hole is for a trailering bracket. Raise your outdrive all the way up. Install bracket and let drive down so it rests on the bracket.
The Tilt mechanism is kinda the weak link. Some say you can idle with it partly raised but i never tried.
If you abuse it and brake it you gonna be out about $400 at Ebay prices for a good use one.

Maclin

Admiral
If it is a 270 then later models of those could come with trim, but to retro-fit you have to get a different transom mount, one from a 270T model, kind of hard to find. Same with the 280 I think, though 280's were more likely to have come with the trim option.

ffej1010

Cadet