Tahoe Q4 through the hull transducer location

larrymul

Cadet
A Tracker Tahoe Q4 doesn’t really have a decent location to bring a transducer cable through the transom, so I’m considering a through the hull installation on this 2004 Q4 F&S

Do any members know where it should be located, away from any foam insulation, fiberglass laid wood beams, etc.? I can access what appear to be bare inner hull space through the cup holders in the open bow area, but don't think that would be ideal at speed. Areas from the windshield back don't allow any access to the bottom that I can find.

I'd hate to run the transponder cable over the swim platform, and drilling holes in the boat...well, you know!

If someone has any knowledge or ideas from your experience, I’d sure appreciate your input.

Thanks for your help with my trailer lighting issues earlier.

BTW I posted this earlier and can't find it now!

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I always put mine just off the centerline, right in front of the transom. Reason is that's the place where the turbulence is minimized and hull to water contact is max at any speed. If you can't get that close, as close as you can get to the transom or rearmost part of the hull that is touching the water when on plane.

Attachment needs to be done with a hard, preferably bubble less epoxy. Some epoxies are said to be bubble less and when you stir the ingredients, don't make a lot of bubbles, on either type; that or standard run of the mill epoxy. You are transmitting and receiving sound waves and hard surfaces tx/rx better than soft which absorb some of it.

If your boat has a V hull at the transom (transom dead rise) you can either mount it flat to the V or build a dam out of cardboard and tape and make a flat, horizontal surface. If mounted to the V, errors can develop in deep water as the beam, usually 20 degrees will tell you what's off at an angle and the deeper the water worse the error. Course most people are interested in shallow water operation and that error is nebulous.

You need to ensure that you have solid glass or alum between the ducer and the water the boat is in. If foam or balsa, or false floor, it will not work.

If you ducer has a temp sensor also, my last boat had 2, one there and one on my trolling motor, both the same brand and model and the temp tracked about 2 degrees with an 80 degree ambient for a number. If glass hull it will be slightly more.

If your ducer is a side shooter like some bass boats use then forget it. The hull will block the signal.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
The problem with mounting it inboard is after a year or two the duce will act up

littlerayray

Lieutenant
With where I have mine installed you don't see it and it works flawlessly and I paid the dealership about 100 dollars to install and wire everything it was worth it since they new the best place to put everything

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I have one that has been mounted inboard for over 10 years that still works perfectly.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I'm just saying what the dealership told me they refuse to purchase Tahoe with the transducer muted in the hull by the factory cuz they stop working after a year or two and they told me the only way they would install it is thru the hull and that it will work and read better and it does flawlessly I'm pro mounting it outside

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I've had them inboard since 1989 and haven't lost one yet using Hummingbird and Lowrance both. In my '89 Ranger I had 2 of them, one up front for fishing right over the side for Crappie, and one at the transom for running. Had 2 on my last boat, one on the bottom of the trolling motor and the other at the transom. Rest of the boats in that time line were just one at the transom. Had them on alum and glass boats and usually bought the low end units that were cheap.