fuel water separator location

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought some new fuel line to put on my new to me boat. I also bought a fuel water separator. I was going to mount the fuel water separator in the splashwell for easy access but I found that I already have one mounted below deck into one of the stringers. It's difficult to get to and I didn't even see it before lol. Should I leave it there or move it up into the splashwell?

robert graham

Admiral
I'd remove the old one and replace it with a section of new fuel line...then mount your new one on the inside of the transom where you can see it and drain/replace it at regular intervals...."out of sight/out of mind" seems like a bad idea for an under-deck unit that could leak, cause a fire, etc.....

alldodge

Staff member
I bought some new fuel line to put on my new to me boat. I also bought a fuel water separator. I was going to mount the fuel water separator in the splashwell for easy access but I found that I already have one mounted below deck into one of the stringers. It's difficult to get to and I didn't even see it before lol. Should I leave it there or move it up into the splashwell?

You could move or leave it there. The decision I would make before changing is determine how far away is the new location from the old and more important is the new location higher then the old. If the height is much higher then the original the fuel pump will need to work harder. Got any pics?

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry no pics. I went ahead and took the old one out. Couldn't get the filter off or the lines undone where it was because the livewell pump was in the way to get a wrench on it. There's no motor on the boat right now either- so I can't imagine it being any easier with an outboard in the way lol. So I should leave it close to the original height? I normally change the filters annually but keep a spare one in the boat just in case.

robert graham

Admiral
Just anywhere convenient on the inside of the transom....double check your mounting position so your fuel lines don't chafe or kink with outboard movement...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The height will make absolutely no difference to the fuel pump.

Mount it anywhere you want..... Substantially lengthening the fuel lines could however have an effect.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. I'll finish her up tomorrow. I've met my quota of mosquito bites for today :)