New to Boating and Found Me a New Boat... I Think?

triv911

Cadet
All,

I found this Gastron V-156 (1974?) and I can have it for free. I know NOTHING about boating or this boat other than I want a boat to fish and take the family out on. Again, it is free, does not come with a motor but I have one I can use (65HP) that is also free. Thoughts? Anyone know these boats well? Take it or leave it? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• boat back.jpg
    boat back.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat inside.jpg
    boat inside.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You have to realize in boating, nothing is free! I would look it over with a fine toothed comb, make sure the floor is solid, make sure the transom is solid, because redoing those is a hard job and it takes a strong commitment in time as well as money to do it. There is a saying that goes around boating circles, the most expensive boats are the free ones!

Alumarine

Captain
In the picture of the back of the boat it looks like there is a plate on each side with 4 bolts going through them.
These "might" be holding the transom together.
If that's the case, it won't be "free".

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
also, forgot to mention, even if it is free, make sure the paperwork is in order, you don't want to have a spend a bunch of money trying to get it licensed.

triv911

Cadet
You have to realize in boating, nothing is free! I would look it over with a fine toothed comb, make sure the floor is solid, make sure the transom is solid, because redoing those is a hard job and it takes a strong commitment in time as well as money to do it. There is a saying that goes around boating circles, the most expensive boats are the free ones!

The floor is solid. I not only jumped around on it but I poked around. No soft spots at all. I also poked around the transom and the motor mount holes with a pick... seemed solid to me. The seats and carpet were all professionally re-done (viewed receipts).

triv911

Cadet
also, forgot to mention, even if it is free, make sure the paperwork is in order, you don't want to have a spend a bunch of money trying to get it licensed.

Also, all original paperwork and a stack of service receipts are present. License is valid and trailer has a lifetime license. All that checks out.

My one concern is the metal plates on the back with the bolts through them. While the transom seemed solid, what could these plates mean???? Could them be why the transom seems so solid, without them its junk? Ugh.... anyone?

triv911

Cadet
In the picture of the back of the boat it looks like there is a plate on each side with 4 bolts going through them.
These "might" be holding the transom together.
If that's the case, it won't be "free".

I noticed this as well... Assuming this is not normal... I am concerned.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Those plates on the transom look like some sort of reinforcement put on by a previous owner. They are definately not factory. Probably installed to make a weak transom seem solid. As to the floor being solid that can be acomplished pretty easily by laying new plywood down over a rotten deck or stringers (The support structure for a boats deck). Then covered with new carpet. It's a patch job that can hide major damage that will be expensive to repair. It is entirely possible someone redid the deck without redoing the transom as that is how our Starcraft was when we bought it. On an alluminum boat like our Starcraft the transom is reasonably easy to replace without removing the deck, but on a fiberglass boat like that Glastron I'm not sure it's doable without ripping out at least the rear of that "Solid Deck".
I certainly wouldn't pick her up put a motor on her and take the family out for a ride without doing some serious investigating on the transom and the structure under that deck.

As has been stated above their is very rarely such a thing as a "Free Boat" most of the time , unless it's coming from a family member or good friend, your picking up someone elses project that they've given up on. If it's free then someone has really thrown in the towell, and is willing to take the loss of their time and money. That's not usually a good sign.

Seeing that it is missing the controls and motor this could have started out as a project for someone and then turned into a donor boat for a better project. The important thing is you understand that to redo a boat that has bad stringers or a bad transom, usually both, is expensive and time consuming. Estimates on materials alone could be as high as $3000.00, and that's with you doing all the work.

As far as time goes We have a 20ft Stratos ski boat in our garage that has been in drydock so to speak for 2 years this month. It's not a project we're in a hurry to finish, and when we are done she will be better than new. Probabbly better than most of the $30,000 dollar ski boats on our lakes today, but she'll be in our garage at least another year if not longer. Again we're in no hurry. We made that mistake when we bought her needing a complete redo. Oh yeah and she cost us $3000.00 right up front.

Now after all that I will close saying this is the BEST place on the web to get the help you need for anything boating. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a group of men and women who love boating and love helping fellow boaters. You are farther ahead than most of us by asking the important questions before you get a boat. Most of us found this site after we had picked up our boats and realized we were in over our heads. That Glastron is certainly interesting, and may be a worthy boat to pick up and fix up. If you decide to get her the people here will gladly help you with your questions.

Make sure you take a boating safety course when you do get a boat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

triv911

Cadet
Those plates on the transom look like some sort of reinforcement put on by a previous owner. They are definately not factory. Probably installed to make a weak transom seem solid. As to the floor being solid that can be acomplished pretty easily by laying new plywood down over a rotten deck or stringers (The support structure for a boats deck). Then covered with new carpet. It's a patch job that can hide major damage that will be expensive to repair. It is entirely possible someone redid the deck without redoing the transom as that is how our Starcraft was when we bought it. On an alluminum boat like our Starcraft the transom is reasonably easy to replace without removing the deck, but on a fiberglass boat like that Glastron I'm not sure it's doable without ripping out at least the rear of that "Solid Deck".
I certainly wouldn't pick her up put a motor on her and take the family out for a ride without doing some serious investigating on the transom and the structure under that deck.

As has been stated above their is very rarely such a thing as a "Free Boat" most of the time , unless it's coming from a family member or good friend, your picking up someone elses project that they've given up on. If it's free then someone has really thrown in the towell, and is willing to take the loss of their time and money. That's not usually a good sign.

Seeing that it is missing the controls and motor this could have started out as a project for someone and then turned into a donor boat for a better project. The important thing is you understand that to redo a boat that has bad stringers or a bad transom, usually both, is expensive and time consuming. Estimates on materials alone could be as high as $3000.00, and that's with you doing all the work.

As far as time goes We have a 20ft Stratos ski boat in our garage that has been in drydock so to speak for 2 years this month. It's not a project we're in a hurry to finish, and when we are done she will be better than new. Probabbly better than most of the $30,000 dollar ski boats on our lakes today, but she'll be in our garage at least another year if not longer. Again we're in no hurry. We made that mistake when we bought her needing a complete redo. Oh yeah and she cost us $3000.00 right up front.

Now after all that I will close saying this is the BEST place on the web to get the help you need for anything boating. There is a wealth of knowledge here and a group of men and women who love boating and love helping fellow boaters. You are farther ahead than most of us by asking the important questions before you get a boat. Most of us found this site after we had picked up our boats and realized we were in over our heads. That Glastron is certainly interesting, and may be a worthy boat to pick up and fix up. If you decide to get her the people here will gladly help you with your questions.

Make sure youo take a boating safety course when you do get a boat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

See.. This is why I love forums! Thank you so much for all your input! Here is what I can tell you. The original owner of the boat died, I work with his son and he wants it out of the garage. The son took the motor off for his newer boat. The son doesn't have much knowledge about the boat other than he believes it to be in great shape minus the motor. With all the paperwork on the new carpet and flooring, there are photos. The deck appears to be original and in great shape. The paperwork notes that the deck was inspected and found to be solid. I guess I have my reservations but cannot seem to find anything wrong. Given my limited knowledge, that is not saying much!

Alumarine

Captain
Also, all original paperwork and a stack of service receipts are present. License is valid and trailer has a lifetime license. All that checks out.

My one concern is the metal plates on the back with the bolts through them. While the transom seemed solid, what could these plates mean???? Could them be why the transom seems so solid, without them its junk? Ugh.... anyone?

We can't see what the plates are there for. You can. See whats on the inside of the transom.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Dude, it's FREE... Go get it and THEN ask all needed questions.

Hang your FREE motor on it.... Figure out if the transom really is solid...
Worst case advertise the motor and trailer for "$500 must take boat"

JOLLYTOON

Cadet
Free is a good start. And the son has paperwork for work done. At least you know what's been done. And you know why the control are missing and motor.
Looks like a cheap way to start out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm betting if you look on the inside under the splashwell there's a support crossmember running horizontal across the top of the transom to support it and thats what those bolted pieces are for. I'm betting that transom is TOAST!!!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I got into boating knowing absolutely nothing. Now I know my $1700 first boat is absolutely ship shape. I also know I've spent $13,000 all told getting her that way. I will never get out of her what I've sunk into her, pardon the pun. But I do have a boat I like and trust.

Free? I wish.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a pretty decent trailer though a little light.
take it and just stick the motor on with what ever bolts you have
then push and pull the motor hard watch for transom flex.
Look at the bottom with as good straight edge along the keel
check for any bulges or hollows.especially in front of the transom.
Good luck.