Volvo Penta Speedometer

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
The speedometer on my 1999 Four Winns 18' boat has not worked since I bought the boat last year. I pulled the hose off the pito tube on the transom and blew a little air in the line, and the gauge responded great. On further examination of the pito tube, I found one side was chipped off. Okay, I bought a new replacement and tried the boat out. Nothing. I am going to pull off the new pito tube, and see if I can blow through it. I have a spare gauge and they both react the same to a little air pressure. Is there a chance that there are different orifice sizes to these? Any Ideas? Thanks Dave-R

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... As far as I know, they're all 'bout the same,....

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Bondo: I put on my glasses and looked real close at my replacement pito. On the bottom there is a 1/16" or smaller hole punched sideways through the orifice opening. That didn't make sense to me. I looked at out Cobalt boat pito, and it has no such hole. I made a small pin to plug the holes and I try her again. Dave-R

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's pitot

Any orifice is only to stop the gauge from bouncing...

Blow air into the hose again and fold n pitch it off while it's pressurized.... If the needle drops you have a hose leak.... Otherwise just pick up another new pitot... They're cheap enough.

NYBo

Admiral
It may not be mounted properly. How about a picture of the pitot mounted on the transom?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Smoke: That's a great Idea about pinching the line off to test for leaks. I thought it was spelled pitot also but my spell checker hated it. HA, Ha. Also to NY boater, thanks. The end of the pitot is below the transom a good 2" and in a clear unobstructed flow. I will try the pinch test. Thanks to all. Dave-R