Speedometer

Clark Griswald

Recruit
I need to pick someones brain.My speedometer quit working this year. I have a bravo one outdrive. I blew compressed air through the V shaped opening on the drive. I also checked the tubing where it connects to the drive. Any suggestions ? thanx

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Clark :welcome: to iboats...

If the pitot pickup tube is cleared and the tube running to the speedometer is clear, then you actually could have a broken speedometer gauge. Such a gauge is merely a pressure gauge calibrated to read speed. The faster you go the higher the water pressure to the gauge... SO verify the tube running all the way to the speedometer gauge is clear and connected as well. If it is, and you know for positive that the pitot tube is open, then you need a new gauge... JMHO!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Clarification, it is actually an air pressure gauge. The water pushes on the air in the tube creating the pressure. You may be able to blow on the back of the gauge to confirm if the gauge is an issue. Blow, needle moves, good speedo (prolly). If you do have a leaky hose along the route (all the way from the hole in the drive to the helm) it will usually be obvious due to a water leak ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Clarification, it is actually an air pressure gauge. The water pushes on the air in the tube creating the pressure. You may be able to blow on the back of the gauge to confirm if the gauge is an issue. Blow, needle moves, good speedo (prolly). If you do have a leaky hose along the route (all the way from the hole in the drive to the helm) it will usually be obvious due to a water leak ;)

Gotta blow hard to get "up to speed" of any sort. BTDT

Hadn't heard from you in awhile Mr. Moderator!

QC

Supreme Mariner
I'm around Mark. Like a lot of you, the "upgrade" had me in a funk. Working to shake it off.