Boat cover and rain

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My new to me boat is parked in my yard and I bought a nearly new semi-custom cover with center pole. The cover has about 6 reinforced 1" webbing strips that go across cover to where tie down straps attach and it fits good. I have got the cover installed and boat leveled to where water sheds good with no pooling but still get significant water in boat when it rains. Before last rain, I lowered tongue jack all the way to get better shedding. Yesterday, I looked under cover and had water in bilge and carpet so I jacked tongue all the way back up and several gallons drained out. What's the deal? Is it normal for these covers to leak that much? I have looked under cover after a rain to see lots of drops under cover and on seats.

On another note, there are several cup holders built in to the storage area on both sides near gunwale in the cockpit area. The area under the cup holders is foam with a plastic insert. When it rains, these fill up with water but cannot drain because of the foam underneath. I know this is a poor design but is seems like repeated filling will lead to waterlogged foam and eventually wood rot. Do others have similar problem and what have you done to drain this water?

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
There is a silicone spray you can purchase for tarps as they will leak after a few years and the silicone will stop the leaking it's similar to the silicone spray you would use on canvass tents

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is a silicone spray you can purchase for tarps as they will leak after a few years and the silicone will stop the leaking it's similar to the silicone spray you would use on canvass tents

This is basically a new cover and is a 300 denier premium cover. Should it already need to be re-waterproofed with silicone? Water still beads up on cover

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Try also silicone spraying where the webbing is cuz when they sewed the webbing they pierced the tarp it's worth a try to spray the silicone on the webbing and if it beads up that's a good thing but doesn't mean it's water proofed

littlerayray

Lieutenant
How old is the tarp if it's overy two years old I would spray it I spray mine when it needs to be done cuz I have a custom denier tarp as well that is water proof but they do need maintenance

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately nearly all boat covers leak.

When I have to leave my jet skis outside for an extended period they get the factory cover and then a 2nd universal cover I bought pretty cheaply online over that.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Boat should be stored with trailer tongue jacked up and drain plug removed. This will allow any intrusion of water to drain out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Water proofing on canvas lasts about 6 months. And as Tyme2fish indicated, bow up, plug out

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info, will try out the silicone spray for sure especially at the seams. Any idea how many cans for an 18' boat cover?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Get 2 just to be on the safe side and whatever you don't use keep it for the next round

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Use the appropriate water proofing for the fabric.

Polyester is not nylon is not canvas, etc.

Use a tent seam sealer over all the seams.
Then use the water proofing solution.

A 1 gallon can and a paint brush will be more effective and economical than a case of spray cans.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Star Brite Waterproofing looks to be a good product and come in 1 gallon jug. Can be brushed or put on with pump sprayer. Will try that.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boat should be stored with trailer tongue jacked up and drain plug removed. This will allow any intrusion of water to drain out.

Tyme2Fish, yes I agree. I did have plug out but had lowered tongue to keep rain water from pooling in cover front of windshield due to configuration. I'll try with it jacked up again after making some adjustments. If for no other reason, if cover rips or otherwise comes off and boat is deluged with water during storm, many bad things could result with that much water in front of boat...thanks.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Use the appropriate water proofing for the fabric.

Polyester is not nylon is not canvas, etc.

Use a tent seam sealer over all the seams.
Then use the water proofing solution.

A 1 gallon can and a paint brush will be more effective and economical than a case of spray cans.

Yes, use the right product for the material (silicone may or may not be the right stuff for your cover). I use a 3M product on my canvas covers (I forget the name, 303?). Follow the directions, a good cleaning before applying often make all the difference. Tent seam sealer is a good idea too.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Star Brite Waterproofing looks to be a good product and come in 1 gallon jug. Can be brushed or put on with pump sprayer. Will try that.

Just as a follow up for others wanting feedback on this product. I sprayed the Star Brite on my cover and it works great. water beads up really good and rolls off of the cover nicely. The only weakness in my cover now is the seams where the straps are sewn in across the cover. They create a dam of sorts when water runs down cover from front to back and water seeps in there. Overall, a good product and time will tell how long it lasts.