Inland lake fishing boat price check

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1992 MirroCraft Troller XL (16 footer) with 9.9hp evinrude and single axle trailer. Not too many 9.9hp console boats around in my area (most are tillers) and this one looks pretty clean. Seller is asking $3300. NADA says $2k-ish. What would you value this deal at?

Thanks in advanced.

flyingcow

Seaman Apprentice
Prices can go all over the map. If you need a 9.9, then you're limited. I will say I paid less than double that for a 22 foot cuddy hardtop with a 260 hp I/O with double axle trailer.

If the boat is in good condition and is exactly what you want, it's worth what you want to pay for it... If that isn't useless enough for ya, I don't know what is! :lol:

southkogs

Staff member
Feels a little sporty to me for a 16' aluminum with a 9HP. Condition is the key ... and if you really like the console setup, it might be worth it to you.

Hard to say with just a description. Any photos anywhere?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
My ?2

It's a nice boat boat but still seems a bit steep for what it is. I'd be down in the Nada range with my offer. With the TM and FF I wouldn't have to rig plus running like a top my lust for it might push me up a bit.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm with TDF ... it's a little pricey, but a nice boat. If it's in as good a shape as it looks, then you might over pay some for it ... but you'd probably have something you really like. Make sure you consider the "I really like that boat" factor. If you like it, you'll use it.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the replies. Would the aluminum hull carry a premium versus fiberglass? I do like the boat so I'm trying to justify paying over NADA. :joyous:

With that said, seller has it posted across multiple sites and I know he's been trying to sell it for over 2 months. He's very quick to reply to emails so taking all that into consideration, I think he is willing to negotiate. I doubt he'd take NADA though.

dwco5051

Commander
The boat looks to be in great condition from the pictures. If that is the exact type of boat you are looking for and you plan on using it for the next five or ten years a premium price over NADA isn't going to be but maybe a hundred bucks a year. You will be in a boat that you really enjoy. If you are planning on only keeping it for a year or so and reselling it you might take a beating. Condition is everything when it comes to buying a used boat. NADA is only a rough guide and is more important if you plan on financing it.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought my little 96 12 foot tracker with a 2005 Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke for $2600. Comparing it to that price I would think its a little high

southkogs

Staff member
Would the aluminum hull carry a premium versus fiberglass?
Not that much ... and particularly on Craigslist, most buyers would't recognize that premium enough for the seller to actually recover it.

I think the fact that you really like the boat is justification. You may overpay, but for a good boat that you'll use a lot. Check it out ... if it's in good shape, get the best deal you can and go for it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
NADA is a guide. In season (spring and fall) you will pay more than NADA. The condition on the boat looks above average, so that will command a bit as well. If you like the boat, intend on using it often, offer in the $2800-$3000 range and go boating

pckeen

Commander
Ditto on the above, but in a used boat, condition is everything. If it is in excellent condition, it may be an OK price. Use NADA to bring the asking price down....

64osby

Admiral
At one point Mirrocraft constructed boats using poured in foam to support the hull and floor. It had no ribs or stringers.

If the boat has wet foam it will be a major PITA to rework the boat.

Triple check what type construction and if the foam is wet or dry.

If the foam is wet run away.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Prices are regional.

3300 is way too much money, even 2000ish sounds rich to me, a 23 year old two stroke 9.9 HP motor is only worth a couple hundred buck. Under powered boats have very bad resale and that one is grossly under powered. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.