Buying boat out of state

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone point me in the right direction. I live in Oklahoma and might buy a boat that's tagged in Missouri. What is the process to get it changed to Oklahoma boat and tag?

southkogs

Staff member
I'd start by checking with THESE GUYS, and then make sure you have title or bill of sale from the boat, motor and trailer from Missouri.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Before buying the boat make sure the owner has the registration and title. He should also have a Manufacturers Statement of Origin if this is a boat less than 10-15 years old. Missouri is a title state. Make sure they have clear title (no outstanding loans or liens). Get the paper work and a Bill of sale. Take it all to the registration people in Oklahoma. Fill out any appropriate forms. They will register and title it. If the owner can't supply the paperwork don't buy the boat.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The MSO is normally kept by the state that first titles the boat, so you won't get an MSO, but you need to make sure you have the title or what every paper work the state issues for boats where you buy it, if you have the proper paper work, you should have not problems, if the guy that currently owns the boat is missing any of that paper work, walk away quickly and find one that has the correct paper work, or you will be in for a real hassle.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'll add some comments as well. . .

When two different states are involved, the buyer should research the titling and registration requirements for BOTH states involved. If Missouri is a 'titling' state for boats and/or for trailers if it applies, you need to make sure with your own eyes that the seller has the proper titles in hand for his state.

When you have those documents in your hand after the sale, then your life will be easier going to your state authorities for registration and titling.

I bought my current boat in NH, whereas I live in MA. NH does not title boats, so I verified that and then verified what MA accepts for boats from states that don't issue titles . . . they accept an original copy of the registration from the seller along with a bill of sale. If I had not done the research up front, I may not have known to get the registration certificate from the seller . . . would have been a mell of a hess. :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Go to your county tax office that registers your trailer and ask them and if like TX. it will require an inspection. Go to your Parks and Wildlife office if they are the ones that register the boat and engine and ask them. Otherwise ask the county tax office if that's where it's done. Don't take our words for what works where we are, go to "the hosses mouth". Might also check the numbers to see if they were stolen before you buy it but I don't know who you'd ask.

shrew

Lieutenant
This questions is asked all the time and once again we have a bunch of advise from people in other states. It matters not what is required in 49 other states. The ONLY thing that matters is what the state where the boat is being registered in (OKLAHOMA) requires. Going to the "County Tax Office" is a Texas concept. I register boats in CT and NH and the state DMV is where it is done there. We don't have county tax offices in NH. Neither NH nor CT are 'Title States' which means I don't have titles for my boats. So advising that you need the title is ridiculous. You might need a title in MANY states, however unless you're registering in a state which requires a title, then this is useless information.

The first reply was the only decent advise. Contact the registering party in Oklahoma and ask them what they require to transfer a registration to that state. Ask them how they handle transferring boats from non-title states. There is usually a process for this as well. If someone says "Well there is no way to register a boat in "X" state after its been registered "Y". This is lunacy and someone simply hasn't done their homework or asked the right question to the right people.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^^^^^+1,000,000

Even gave your post a like, shrew. :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
MO has to have titles for boat, trailer, outboard and trolling motor so make sure you get one for each you are getting and yes only matters what OK wants. My last boat I picked up in St Louis and just took titles into my TN place and went thru normal procedures

jkust

Rear Admiral
I just added an additional boat to the fleet this summer. It was from out of state. Like was mentioned above every state is different but in my case the seller had the title for the trailer, the lien release for the boat (it was only used a few times) and the certificate for the boat as well. With those documents, it was as smooth as any transaction at the dmv as I've ever had. We aren't a title state and apparently neither was the state that the boat was registered in...titles only for trailers and sales tax paid only on the value of the trailer if from a private party. The hardest part was removing the registration letters and stickers from the boat and replacing with the new numbers and sticker.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The first reply was the only decent advise. Contact the registering party in Oklahoma and ask them what they require to transfer a registration to that state. Ask them how they handle transferring boats from non-title states. There is usually a process for this as well. If someone says "Well there is no way to register a boat in "X" state after its been registered "Y". This is lunacy and someone simply hasn't done their homework or asked the right question to the right people.

Really, the first replay was the only decent advise? I beg to differ quite strongly.

Last edited:

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I will definitely do my homework beforehand

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Lol...

In the past when I have asked this question at my local agency in various states I've lived in they were always able to tell me the requirements for my state and were also able to look up the other state's requirements...

IE "we are a title state but the state of XX isn't so all you need is a notarized bill of sale and signed current registration or whatever they required me to have......

Then if possible I come back to the same person I talked to before with the list I made in their presence with all the things they said they'd need.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No need to beg. We have the right to disagree with each others opinions.

I am not begging for anything, Me thinks you misunderstand my statement, but I will excuse you for that, yes we all have the right to our opinions, but not the right to our own facts.

:joyous:

oldjeep

Admiral
I just added an additional boat to the fleet this summer. It was from out of state. Like was mentioned above every state is different but in my case the seller had the title for the trailer, the lien release for the boat (it was only used a few times) and the certificate for the boat as well. With those documents, it was as smooth as any transaction at the dmv as I've ever had. We aren't a title state and apparently neither was the state that the boat was registered in...titles only for trailers and sales tax paid only on the value of the trailer if from a private party. The hardest part was removing the registration letters and stickers from the boat and replacing with the new numbers and sticker.

Um, jkust . MN boats have titles unless they are under 16 feet.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In case anyone was wondering, just had to fill out a BM-10 form which basically is a notarized bill of sale.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction guys.