Questions regarding Repowering with New Outboard

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am getting ready to repower my boat with a new outboard and have a few concerns/questions:

I recently disposed of a 95 Force 40hp on my Bayliner boat. I just purchased a brand new steering cable for it which I have yet to install. I've got everything ready to go. Just need to find the motor and install it.

I am specifically looking for these motors:
1.) Late 90's to mid 2000's Mercury 2 stroke 50hp
2.) Same thing with a 40hp if the right deal
3.) Any 2000's model Mercury 40hp 4 stroke (can't handle weight of a 50 4 stroke)
4.) 1992-95 Classic Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder

Here is what I have on my boat:
1.) New Steering Cable (Teleflex Rack and Pinion "old style" same as original from 95 Bayliner)
2.) Quicksilver 3000 Controls and cables
3.) Original Wiring and plug from 95 Bayliner Capri 1401 LS in good shape

Here is what I know:
1.) The bolt hole patterns will be exactly the same for these motors
2.) Research online seems to say the quicksilver cables should work
3.) The old Force DID NOT have power tilt and trim and these motors WILL.

Questions:
1.) Will there likely be problems with my wiring from the Boats end? Even if the harness fits will there be issues regarding the tilt and trim? The Quicksilver 3000 have a closed slot for the tilt switch if ever installed.

2.) Would throttle cables need to be adjusted?

3.) Is it likely the motor will fit right on perfectly? (The mount holes are about 1 1/2" from top of transom and same bolt pattern. The old setup was from Bayliner and appeared to be correct on the height and everything else.)

I want to do this myself. The wiring with tilt and trim is what I am mostly worried about.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
1) Buy a motor that includes the control and harness.

2) Maybe.

3) Always if you do it right. You might have to drill some new mounting holes and plug the old ones.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why would the motor include the harness? Wouldn't that need to be left on the boat, as it hooks up to the ignition and gauges...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why would the motor include the harness? Wouldn't that need to be left on the boat, as it hooks up to the ignition and gauges...

Not always, I see lots of motors for sale that include the harness, in fact I will not buy a motor unless they include the harness for it.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, I did some more research and here is what I found:

The 1995 Force 40hp (My old motor) used a Mercury wiring harness (for inside motor) Not sure on the "boat side" harness but it is a canon style 8 pin.

The Mercury's I'm looking at use the canon style 8 pin. They will at least connect but will wires correspond??

This sounds hopeful. I think I'd have to pay someone hundreds before re wiring the entire dash with a new harness. That would be a nightmare job. I hate wiring work.

I've looked at 2 motors so far on CL and neither came with a "boat side" harness. I just looked on small outboards.com and they don't mention "boat side" harnesses, just whether it comes with controls and cables.

I've seen references online about a particular Mercury boat side harness that says it fits many 1979-2006 models. Seems like these may not be horsepower specific, but more like whether they have the 8 pins or not.

Not sure but this will be important in deciding whether to do the install myself or pay someone. Got a quote over the phone for around $400 if wires work and around $800 if they don't.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That year Force used the Mercury Quicksilver 3000 control. It also used Mercury ignition. The wiring harness is the same AND there will be two wires with bullet connectors for tilt and trim in the cable just outside the red connector. The control cables will swap directly into a Mercury engine---ANYTIME you swap or make adjustments to idle speed the control cables MUST be adjusted to that engine. NO big deal, you simply need to screw or unscrew the black plastic cylinders until they correspond to the mount.

You will need to get a new control handle with the TNT switch inside it OR simply buy a single pole MOM switch and wire it under the dash.

Not a difficult task to install the new engine so why pay someone to do it? You can get as much help as you need on the Mercury forum.