Aluminum for Saltwater

cbarzola

Cadet
Aluminum or Fiberglass

I am new to boating, and I was wondering if someone can tell me if aluminum boats would be a good idea to use it on saltwater.

Thanks

CB

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should be fine if you trailer it or don't leave in water too long. Just rinse off with hose when you go to flush motor. That will keep potential corrosion away. Fiberglass can have rotted decks which are a major pita. With aluminum you at least won't have that problem.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a lot of aluminum boats being used in salt water, it just means you have to take care of it, clean it up when done, flush motors and I would not keep it in the water all of the time.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Here in San Diego there are many aluminum boats in the 16-22 foot range that have only seen salt water (I have one of them, a 1982 model). As noted above, rinse, rinse, rinse. Also, IMO good to put bunk glides or similar on bunks to prevent moisture being trapped against bottom of hull.

phillipgo

Seaman Apprentice
There are many aluminum boats made for salt water. Quintrex is an Australian boat that is made for the salt. As long as the boat is properly prepared, it can be left in the water. There are U.S. companys that make them also, but very expensive. It really boils down to what kind of boating you are doing.

robert graham

Admiral
If you decide on aluminum then strongly consider an all-welded boat rather than a riveted boat.....the saltwater can get under and around the rivets causing corrosion/possible leakage....

cbarzola

Cadet
I am looking to buy a 17ft aluminum boat for saltwater, do you guys think is a bad idea to purchase aluminum instead of fiberglass for saltwater?, please advice.

Thanks

Carlos

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged todays topic, with the same one you started a year ago.

Nothing about the 2 hull types, the ocean or opinions has changed....

Good luck w your hunt for a 17ftr

Last edited: