bus wiring to extend 12V system from starboard to port

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To avoid rewiring my entire boat or extending multiple 12V wires I am planning to adding pos & neg bus bars. All of the 12V wires end in the starboard compartment and I need to move my single 12V battery to the port compartment. I plan to use one of the bus bars listed below in the starboard compartment(with all of the 12V items) and then run an appropriately gauge pos & neg wire to the port side to be attached to the battery. Will this work?

12V system: Evinrude 120hp V4 2stroke outboard; bilge pump; live well (rarely used); radio; & navigation lights

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...sim_263_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HEKAT0DN19Y1PYX1YBD
http://www.amazon.com/BB-6W-2NC-DSP-Multi-Purpose-cover/dp/B000NI3GUA

P.S. The reason for the move is a free 24V trolling motor that will require 2 12V batteries to be wired in series in the starboard compartment.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How are all these 12V wire running currently? Where are they currently connected to?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Are you planning on having both batteries on the port or one on each side?

If its having both on one side I would consider setting up a 24v system dedicated to the TM alone and leave the 12v system you have now alone so that you never put yourself into a dead battery stranded situation.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What boat you want to do this to? Transom or bow mount TM?

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All of my wires(12V system and 24V bow mount trolling motor) run to the starboard compartment where there are two battery holders. On the port side there is one available spot for a battery and the second spot it being used by the engine oil container for the outboard.

I would prefer not to move the oil container and instead simply move the single battery to the port side. Instead of extending multiple 12V system wires from starboard to port my goal is to connect all 12V wires to a bus bar on the starboard side and then have a single(pos & neg) large gauge wire running from the bus bar over to the port 12V battery. This will in turn free up the starboard compartment to install the 24V system for the bow mount TM. I will ultimately have 3 12V batteries on the boat (1 on the port side-12V system and 2 on the starboard side in series-24V system).

Any concern having the outboard connected in such a way?

Currently all of the 12V system wires are wired directly to the 12V cranking battery. It is on a 94 Sea Nymph Stringer Sport Deck Boat (aluminum hull). I should also add that all of the 12V items are wired to switches at the helm.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Can you place the 2 batteries for the Bow TM up to the bow and leave the motor battery the way it is?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would not have the outboard itself hooked up to a bus bar.

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not really any storage area for two batteries in the bow. Plus TM wires already run to stern starboard compartment.

So, run outboard directly to single battery on the port side and then run other 12V items thru bus bar?

GA_Boater

Please get some pictures. The oil tank could be an easy move to make room for the batteries. Is the TM currently hooked up to two batteries? And the TM batteries can be anywhere, the two can be connected with heavy gauge cable with minimal power loss. Optimum is having the TM batteries side by side, but not a necessity.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So, run outboard directly to single battery on the port side and then run other 12V items thru bus bar?
Yes. You should also use a circuit breaker at the battery driving the large wire that goes to your bus bar.

How are the circuits fused that connect to the bus bar? Maybe you need a fuse panel vs a bus bar if they aren't.