Recommendation for BIG man PFD

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am about 275 and last time I got measured for a suit I was a 54 and had a 19" neck. I'm looking for a PFD that is my size so I won't feel squeezed into it like a sausage, so comfort is a priority. I also do some smooth water kayaking and an occasional tube ride.

What do you other BIG use ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
get an inflatable pfd.... you WON'T regret it... it's like wearing a pair of suspenders... VERY comfy

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
As smoke said inflatable is the way to go. I bought one and my friends and family thought I was nuts, turns out they like to try and take it from me. I am not big but am small so similar issue in that couldn't find one that fit me well.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
An inflatable PFD wouldn't be a good choice for kayaking or tubing. I suggest checking out low or medium profile paddling PFDs as they offer plenty of flotation with no mobility restriction or sausage fit LOL. Stohlquist, NRS, Astral, Extrasport and MTI are a few of many brands ranging in price and quality from decent to top notch. There are many options that will work for you.

flyingcow

Seaman Apprentice
MTI Solaris in xxl/xxxl. I use it when I canoe or whenever I don't want to wear my inflatable. I'm 6' 3" and 330 lbs. It doesn't ride up, and I'm wicked comfortable when paddling. REI has them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Can't see any reason an inflatable wouldn't be good kayaking unless you are doing whitewater...

I actually bought my inflatable specifically for use with my kayak.

It's auto/ manual... I have the auto feature locked out so it will only inflate if I yank the cord OR manually blow it up with the inflation tube.