Long Island Sound...whats up with the Sea Robins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Is it me or are there an over abundance of these creatures around?

The past 4 times out I have caught nothing but Sea Robins...4 or 5 each outing..big one's at that...on bunker chunk none the less

anyone else seeing this?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'm not familiar with that term. but being a wisconsnite ....lol whats a sea robin?

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
They groan at you when you take the hook out...no joke.

basically they are a bottom feeder that you catch at slack tide..I have been getting them regardless of the tide movement

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sea Robins.......:laugh: I'm a Wisconsinite too......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Being a cheesehead myself, now living in Florida, I actually knew what the OP was talking about. and yes, they are strange looking and like many of the weird looking fish in salt water, yes they do make sounds.

The one in the picture doesnt have the spiny dorsal fin raised.

johnnybgood

Seaman
Have caught many over the years growing up on Long Island and fishing the sound. Have never eaten any but was told by a fellow co worker at the NMFS they are good to eat

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Yeah, people are starting to eat them now. I've always considered them a trash fish.

It's just like the Gray trigger fish down in the Gulf of Mexico, they were always considered a trash fish until the Red Snapper and Grouper became scarce, then everyone started eating them and now there's a conservative limit on them.

If everything keeps going the way it has been the only thing that's going to be left in the ocean is jelly fish and someone will figure out a way to eat them too!:hungry:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, people are starting to eat them now. I've always considered them a trash fish.

It's just like the Gray trigger fish down in the Gulf of Mexico, they were always considered a trash fish until the Red Snapper and Grouper became scarce, then everyone started eating them and now there's a conservative limit on them.

If everything keeps going the way it has been the only thing that's going to be left in the ocean is jelly fish and someone will figure out a way to eat them too!:hungry:

Not unless there are peanut butter and jellyfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.