Thanks TB

alldodge

Staff member
four people in boat one has fishing license 3 are observing
is it legal in Florida/Alabama saltwater to have three observers
and one licensed actualle fisherman?

edit: same ? in freshwater.
Thanks TB

Don't know in those states, but in KY so long as there is only one line in the water its OK

Tnstratofam

Commander
Same here in Tennessee. So long as the unlicensed observers do not touch any fishing equipment ( nets included ). No problem. However it's a huge ticket if any of the observers decide to join in.

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rule of thumb...one line in the water per licensed occupant. Might not keep you from getting stopped, but probably will from being ticketed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The actual real question should be why have three additional people in a fishing boat that don't want to fish? If you can afford a boat, the fishing license should be meniscal cost for all person in the boat... Then no worries!

robert graham

Admiral
Wife and I boat and fish all the time in Florida....I fish, she sunbathes, reads her book....obviously not fishing. And I only have ONE rod and reel in the boat....never had a problem with the Fish and Wildlife Guys....They're not stupid and they know what's going on and what they're looking for.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The actual real question should be why have three additional people in a fishing boat that don't want to fish?
I took my wife and two daughters (ages18 and 21) to dinner on Kent Island last weekend. It was a beautiful day and prime Striper season, so I trolled 8 rods the roughly 18 miles over to the restaurant.

The wife and kids could care less about fishing and did not "participate". I should have left them at the dock? Not fished on the way?

If you can afford a boat, the fishing license should be meniscal cost for all person in the boat... Then no worries!
So...I'm supposed to spend $90 ($30 x 3) on fishing licenses that will never be used because I can afford it? Something about "a fool and his money...." comes to mine.

FWIW: We have no limitation on the number of rods in use by an individual. We also have a "boat license" which allows everyone on board to fish w/o a license. Eliminates the hassles of individual licensing when putting a fishing party together. Limits based upon aggregate possession, not individuals, further eases the situation.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
dingbat, I honestly wasn't trying to offend anybody. Only making a general statement. There are situations like you stated where other folks are not fishing but merely riding to some destination. But the general question sounded like four folks were out on a fishing boat and only one was licensed. And that is what I was answering about. It honestly sounded like four guys were out fishing but only one had a license. And that was questionable to read...not some unique circumstance like you stated... :facepalm:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
dingbat, I honestly wasn't trying to offend anybody. Only making a general statement.

No offense taken...merely pointing out that 'fishing" doesn't necessarily mean fishing in the strictest sense...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.