Anybody have any input on Fishing hot spots software?

MI-TY

Cadet
What's the deal with this software? is it worth spending the cash on it? I have a Lowrance elite hdi 5 and was looking into purchasing the software but before dumping the cash thought I would see what others think about it. I plan on fishing the western long island sound.

Moderator...wasn't sure if this topic belongs in fishing or Electronics,my apology if I was wrong posting here

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Quite frankly, useless.... If you need a map to show you where to fish, you have other more pressing issues to address if you want to catch fish....

Cutting! Ouch....

As it turns out I NEVER venture out, even onto the river, without a paper chart of the area. And I often determine where I'll fish by the information on that chart. 18 months ago I purchased a Furuno GP1870 Chart plotter... Best money I ever spent. My catch has increased significantly, mainly due to being able to more accurately position the boat over fish-holding structures, even in more than 70 metres of water (250')...

And I still carry paper charts....

Chris........

MI-TY

Cadet
My issue for wanting it basically is because I am unfamiliar with that area of the Sound. It will be my first year there with my boat.

As far as fishing goes, I disagree with you, every little bit of information helps..knowing the area where others have been successful can only improve your odds and if this software has mapped wrecks,structures, ect it can put me in the right spot...no mater how good of a fisherman you might think you are these are thing you cannot possibly know unless someone else tells you or you set out yourself to discover.

MI-TY

Cadet
achris,

Yea, I agree....ouch

Dingbat,

I disagree with your opinion...I will leave it at that. I have been thrown off a few of these forums in the past for taking the bait and starting a heated debate from negative nancy's like yourself. Good luck to you and your superior fishing skills.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I personal don't have throw away funds to purchase such things. But I do enjoy using my knowledge and abilities to do my own investigations. On lakes I've never ever fished before I hit the usual structure I can visibly see. And if any of those places are good, I can make a mental note, or now enter a set/way point on the locator for future times. However, All the lakes I have thus far investigate, my mental notes have worked out the absolute best over the years. I seem to remember the "good" spots that I found all by myself... But that is just how I like doing things. If I have to rely on purchasing somebody else's "good" spots, then I just won't catch fish. Same with hunting places. I enjoy the hunt and locating my "good" spots and using my thinking and abilities. When I go fishing, I go to my usual good places and if they don't pan out, I try some new areas that I haven't ever tried before and keep the ones that are good to me and drop the ones that aren't. And my memory even remembers time of year and seasonal circumstances too. I don't know if "hot spots" can do that or not! JMHO!

MI-TY

Cadet
Ha ha ha....I laugh in your general direction.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok, you 2. I suggest you BOTH check your egos in at the door.

Please go to your profile pages and each put the other on your ignore list....

Chris.
iboats mod team.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
So, to the original question. I think my "hot spots" Software is very usefull. Does it mean I always catch fish using it? Nope. But it does tell me where to start and proven places to try and sometimes saves me many hours of time in a new and unfamiliar lake. To me its worth the money.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I am going to take a SWAG (sophisticated wild A** guess) that the Sound you are referring to is the LI Sound? The two most important things are seeing/knowing the water/bottom......... and then ask questions. I would ask other fisherman on the water or in the marina's. See where the other people are going and what they are going for......most will tell you. Ask if they use software ;)

MI-TY

Cadet
Bobvt,

Yes, you are correct. I have, for quite a few years fished Montauk and basically knew what worked and what didn't work there (and what time and conditions) mainly for Fluke and Bass. This is my first year with my own boat in the western end of the sound. I saw this software that goes into my GPS charplotter and was basically looking to see if anyone uses it. I had no idea I would be ridiculed for asking.

For the record, I fish. I have fished for quite some time now and generally do well when I go out. It not a silly beginners question.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bobvt,

Yes, you are correct. I have, for quite a few years fished Montauk and basically knew what worked and what didn't work there (and what time and conditions) mainly for Fluke and Bass. This is my first year with my own boat in the western end of the sound. I saw this software that goes into my GPS charplotter and was basically looking to see if anyone uses it. I had no idea I would be ridiculed for asking.

For the record, I fish. I have fished for quite some time now and generally do well when I go out. It not a silly beginners question.

Just like hunting, if YOU have the correct mindset, that is more important then anything you could possible purchase. However, if purchasing such a program gives you that mindset then it is worthy for you to purchase. What I really mean is having that gut feeling that you can find and catch the fish, is a huge part of your mental feeling at that time. If you go out fishing and have a "I don't think I will catch anything today" then you should stay home, because you won't... So if YOU honestly think such a program is worth the money and will help out finding and catching more fish, then you have to buy it... Can you catch fish without it, absolutely. But if it gives you that extra edge (even if only in your own mind), then go for it... I honesty think you've already made up your mind even before posting your question anyway! JMHO! :thumb:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I use software, just not Hot Spots. I use Navionics Premium HotMaps. And I'm way up north in freshwater which is currently hard water. But the concept is the same, except my software doesn't tell you where to catch fish. I do have Hot Spots charts. I take "where to catch fish" with a grain of salt. Say the software is 2015. But when were the fishing spots plotted? Who knows.

I use my software to navigate new lakes to get me back to the landing, locate any shallow rock piles/structure that I may be approaching and could potentially wipe out my LU. Or, putting me on structure like sunken islands. Trolling at a certain depth and adjusting ahead of time if I see a shallow point coming up.

Maybe all that software is already on your Lowrance. If so, and all you're really getting is locations where someone caught fish at some point I may think twice. If you don't have the described Navionics type software all ready installed, you get all the contours, structure locations etc, plus the bonus on where to start fishing(which I believe is the case with HotSpots). I say go for it.

MI-TY

Cadet
wimusky,

I believe the Navionics software may in fact have all of that info on it. I purchased the base model that didn't include the Navionics SD card.

I figured the basic info on the GPS in conjunction with charts would be sufficient and if I wanted it I could buy it down the line...or buy the hot spot software instead. I have yet to use the Elite 5 on the water yet so I don't know what to expect.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The difference between basic sonars and those upgraded with a mapping chip is detail. A basic unit with GPS tells you where you are and what's under the transducer. Mapping chips show what the transducer doesn't before you're over the spot. So with the chip, roadbeds (in lakes), sunken boats, reefs, depth gradients, etc. are visible long before you are over them.

No matter how good the mapping chip is, it can't tell you if fish that were there yesterday or the week before are still there. That's where local knowledge or other fisherman, if they tell you, come into play.

Since fish finders come in so many variants, the level of mapping is tremendous. Some units come with full featured maps and and some tell you you're on the water. I'm not sure what your model of Elite 5 HDI came with, but I would find out on the water and then decide. You may not need to add a chip. But hoping you catch a few fish while testing. :D

TexMonty

Seaman
I just installed a Lowrance HDS7 touch gen II and do not expect it to tell me how to fish, but for someone like myself that likes to explore various lakes I have never been on the GPS/structure ware of any good unit is invaluable to me. I have used a small "portable" unit for a couple years when I was renting boats rather than buying boats it always helped with underwater structure and marking spots. Now that I needed someplace to throw some extra cash (and bought another boat) I wanted to get something with a little more versatility. I think it will be well worth the investment and IMHO is needed when you don't know anything about the water. I also was looking at the various "chips" and I personally like the ones that shows the bars and restaurants on the lakes. Never know when you might get thirsty!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The difference between basic sonars and those upgraded with a mapping chip is detail. A basic unit with GPS tells you where you are and what's under the transducer. Mapping chips show what the transducer doesn't before you're over the spot. So with the chip, roadbeds (in lakes), sunken boats, reefs, depth gradients, etc. are visible long before you are over them.

No matter how good the mapping chip is, it can't tell you if fish that were there yesterday or the week before are still there. That's where local knowledge or other fisherman, if they tell you, come into play.

Since fish finders come in so many variants, the level of mapping is tremendous. Some units come with full featured maps and and some tell you you're on the water. I'm not sure what your model of Elite 5 HDI came with, but I would find out on the water and then decide. You may not need to add a chip. But hoping you catch a few fish while testing. :D

What GA said. My handheld unit told me I was on the water with a crude outline of the lake. Chips made a world of difference and are worth the money. I believe I went with Navionics because that's supposed to be one of the better chips, at least for my needs/area. If you get a chip do your research. See what others in your area are using. Talk it up at the bait shop and/or tackle shop....

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You probably have purchased the UPDATED or NEW programming by now.
I purchased a Lowrance GPS/ Depth Finder combo.
When I got it they said I was eligible from Navionics to get an updated chip that expands and has a serious upgrade for fishing.
I finally got the chip after 6 mo. of wrasling with Lowrance and Navionics.
The "NEW" chip made the streets around the house much clearer and did NOTHING for the fishing and actual navigation.

Get any GOOD GPS and a chart(they're called charts if they're for the water :) ) of the area.
The Fishing Hot Spot charts are a great place to start.
I follow the numbers off the chart and get in the area and then start looking.

It works. From the chart and "Previous exploring" yesterday we caught 6 Mahi Mahi and a bunch of other stuff.