Shore fishing near Cape Coral FL?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
We're heading down to the Cape Coral, FL area over Christmas and new years. We have no real plans but the kids (10, 8, and 8 years old) want to do some fishing that doesn't involve drilling holes through ice. There's a pond with crappies, sunfish and bass a block from my dad's place down there but I was wondering if there is any decent shore fishing where we can catch something that doesn't exist in Minnesota. We don't need anything fancy or big, just something that bends the rod tip and hopefully isn't overly finicky. I'd appreciate any advice!

Also if there's anything down there that a person shouldn't miss seeing I'd love to hear about it. I promised one way or the other we'd see alligators!

Thanks for any and all advice!

aspeck

Staff member
Lot's of sea trout and small sharks that can be caught from shore. Lot's of fun. I did well on inside of Sanibel Island. Very easy to rent a boat to tool around the bay and estuaries there. The bridges and piers are usually good spots for catching also. Floating shrimp or baitfish worked for us. Loads of fun and my wife, who doesn't fish, had a great time also. Good luck and have fun!

aspeck

Staff member
If you want to hire a Capt to take you, PM me and I will recommend the one that showed us around ... He was very good, and good with kids - he has 2 of his own. Decent CC to fish out of. One day with him and you are good to rent you own boat and find the spots ... I do not recommend the head boats ... Did not have any luck with them at all!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot.......and thanks for the info! Any recommendations for gear? I'm guessing the kid's ultralights may be a little light but would a medium action rod with 8 or 10 lb line work? If my kids caught a small shark that would definitely be the highlight of the year, probably if they even saw one.

aspeck

Staff member
That's what I used there, medium action with 8-12 lb test.

aspeck

Staff member
I am no saltwater expert, there are many others on here with better info than me. But I have fished both FL coasts now and they are very different, but very fun!