Color of boat

droolbot

Seaman
Does it matter to the fish what color the underside of a boat is? Just curious, as I only see lighter colors for the most part. Prob lots of opinions on this, but I would like to hear some! Thanks!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Good question, no answer here. Just a thought. If the fish look up then the lightest thing they can see is the sky which is light, so,,,,,,,,,,,

droolbot

Seaman
That was my thought as well, but either way they are going to see it. Wanted to have some fun and be different with the paint job, but would not want to make it even harder for me to catch fish!

foodfisher

Captain
I would think no difference since the bottom is always in shadow. edit: But then, fish bellys are usually white?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the bottoms are usually light so that when you wreck the boat and its floating upside down, the coast guard has a chance to find the wreckage

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've had black, white and blue. No problem putting fish in the boat with any of them

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've had black, white and blue. No problem putting fish in the boat with any of them

I have always had silver and always have trouble putting fish in my boat. Guess it's my boat color....LOL

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have always had silver and always have trouble putting fish in my boat. Guess it's my boat color....LOL

The one thing that fish are very sensitive to is noise.

A friend does underwater acoustics work for the government. He set up a microphone 50' below a boat and recorded the typical, on-board noises. You could hear every word of a conversation. People walking on deck was surprisingly loud. Dropping a deck hatch sounded like a hammer hit the deck, and this was a glass boat. I could only imagine what an aluminum boat would sound like.

nwcove

Admiral
That was my thought as well, but either way they are going to see it. Wanted to have some fun and be different with the paint job, but would not want to make it even harder for me to catch fish!

cant see much point in getting creative with the paint on the bottom of yer boat......unless you go with " CALL 911" in huge neon letters .