Tuna fishing in NJ

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi folks,

I am thinking to go tuna fishing on a party boat off NJ in Sept but a little worry about come back empty handed. I have never done this before and it will cost $400 or more for a one and a half day trip. Anyone has done this before? I appreciate any tips and advice before I make my reservation. Thanks.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like a Musky trip on Lake St. Clair here in Michigan. You can troll all day long and usually get a a few, but there are many days you just wont. Are you prepared for this? I have no knowledge of Tuna fishing, but I know there are other sure bets that will almost guarantee fish, maybe pick another species, or be prepared to possibly come home empty.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's called fishing, not catching for a reason. :) I don't judge a charter/guide by the quantity of fish in the box at the end of the day. I judge by the effort they put in catching them. Having said that, headboats and effort usually don't go hand in hand

Last edited:

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are right to be concerned. IF the boat lands a tuna, it might not be you that gets it...

Years ago I joined my brother-in-law and 4 other guys on a similar trip - when we arrived at the dock, skipper informed the tuna had moved so far out that we'd be spending most of the time traveling and very little time fishing.
Instead, we went for Striped bass -
We had 3-hook trapeze rigs and all of us had instances with 2 stripers at a time and 2 instances of all 3 hooks with stripers - we kept throwing back the smallest out of the live well - one of the best days of fishing in my life.
On another trip, we did get one small tuna (small for a tuna, but a keeper), but that was it for the boat.
My vote? I'd prefer catching fish - bluefish or stripers - over a rare chance at a tuna.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
- we kept throwing back the smallest out of the live well - one of the best days of fishing in my life.
Watch yourself, culling Stripers is illegal in most, if not all jurisdictions.

Bluefish make good bait.....Stripers are a dime a dozen.....tuna are not rare if you fish where they are. ;)

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watch yourself, culling Stripers is illegal in most, if not all jurisdictions.
Did not know that. It was a charter boat and it wasn't my idea., but sounded like a good idea to me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Did not know that. It was a charter boat and it wasn't my idea., but sounded like a good idea to me.

Stripers, like tuna, are managed by the Federal government. I suggest you learn and understand the regulations, both Federal and State, because neither agency messes around when it comes to Striper regulations. If you Striper fish in 3 jurisdictions like I do, make sure you understand the regulations in each jurisdiction. They will come down hard on you.....

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Stripers, like tuna, are managed by the Federal government. I suggest you learn and understand the regulations, both Federal and State, because neither agency messes around when it comes to Striper regulations. If you Striper fish in 3 jurisdictions like I do, make sure you understand the regulations in each jurisdiction. They will come down hard on you.....
The problem is the regs are getting so crazy (across the board not just stripers) you need to be a lawyer to interpret them all correctly.