Under 16, can you keep the fish...

LastCall1983

Seaman
hi, going fishing out of Mexico Beach, Fl this weekend (if rain holds out). I'm out of state but have appropriate license for myself and my wife. My son is 9 and enjoys fishing as well...

I know he doesn't have to have a permit, but what if he catches fish that we want to keep? Just say we already have two amberjack (one allowed per person) and he catches one too that is keeping size..

if we get inspected would they give us trouble over it? would it even be legal to keep it? Don't want to get in trouble over something that i can prevent.

Thanks

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Under 16, can you keep the fish...

Around here, any fish he catches would count against the licenced fisherman's catch. I'd say you're looking at a very expensive fish.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As long as he is fishing legally, which he is, he can keep his daily limit as well.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I grew up in Florida and I always kept fish as a kid, but not sure what the rule is. I would think your son counts as a person, but I would check the fish and game website to see if the rules are posted there.

LastCall1983

Seaman

i did look around and didn't really see anything stating he could or couldn't.

We went out and the rain held, but about 4 miles out at our first stop the boat started acting up. Go figure... It started skipping pretty bad. Was thinking we had got some bad gas and barely got it to start back up :facepalm:

Luckily we finally got it to start back up and limped back to the ramp after stopping at a few spots and catching a few non keepers.

Got it back home (3 hours from mexico beach to our home) and found a bad spark plug wire to be the problem. Made us feel like total idiots. It's pretty darn hard focusing on what you are doing when the boat is rocking though.. your focus kind of fades.

SO we will be going back in 3-4 weeks and I'll get my revenge on the fish (Hopefully) haha.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a bummer. At least you were able to get back. Hopefully she will run good for you next time.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a good plan to never go to sea with only one motor.
Geoffwga1.

LastCall1983

Seaman

It is a good plan to never go to sea with only one motor.
Geoffwga1.

Haha.. my wife makes fun of me because i have a backup for nearly everything i could think of... (points for the distributor, heavy duty battery wiring, spark plugs, hoses, etc).

I actually told her i was thinking of finding a little stick steer motor to put on the back "just in case".

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

hi, going fishing out of Mexico Beach, Fl this weekend (if rain holds out). I'm out of state but have appropriate license for myself and my wife. My son is 9 and enjoys fishing as well...

I know he doesn't have to have a permit, but what if he catches fish that we want to keep? Just say we already have two amberjack (one allowed per person) and he catches one too that is keeping size..

if we get inspected would they give us trouble over it? would it even be legal to keep it? Don't want to get in trouble over something that i can prevent.

Thanks

This:

Harvester: Regardless of what species you are fishing for, bag limits are only for properly licensed individuals and those people exempt from licensing requirements
who are actively harvesting. People harvesting may not exceed the individual bag limit and take someone else?s bag limit. That is, people (including children) who are
not actively harvesting or are not properly licensed (if license is required) may NOT be counted for the purpose of bag limits.

Is from here:
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/14FLSW-Final-LR.pdf

If your son is actively fishing and catches a fish y'all want to keep it is a legal fish.